8. It's My Birthday

(Y/N) jolted awake, shivering and red-eyed. He found Alfred sitting next to his bed, watching him.

"How long did I sleep?" (Y/N) asked, his voice hoarse.

"Two days," Alfred said. "It's your birthday."

"It was some kind of gas," (Y/N) said, remembering his encounter with Dr. Crane. "I only breathed in the slightest amount..."

"I dread to think, sir, what would've happened if you'd had a lungful."

"I've felt those effects before," (Y/N) said, recalling his training with Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul. "But this was much more potent."

"I took a blood sample and sent it to a laboratory with not discreet and prompt bloodwork." He handed (Y/N) a sheet of paper.

"Protein-based compounds..." (Y/N) read. "Might be possible to work up an antidote."

"Shall I contact (L/N) Pharmaceutical?"

"I've got a better idea."

—-

Fox looked down at the paper, then back at (Y/N). "This was in your blood?"

"It's some kind of weaponized hallucinogen," (Y/N) explained. "Administered in aerosol form."

"Mr. (L/N), you are definitely hanging out at the wrong clubs."

"Could you synthesize an antidote?"

"Well, the hallucinatory compounds can be balanced... but this receptor's a compound I've never seen before."

"So you can't."

"Did I say that? I just want you to know how hard it's gonna be."

"Do you know what a (L/N) Industries M-EMIT42-B is?" (Y/N) asked, thinking of the device he saw in the warehouse.

"No." He moved over to his computer. "But she will." He typed in the device name and hit 'enter.' "Oh."

"What?"

"It won't tell us. It must be a defense prototype."

"Could you find out?"

"I'll make a couple calls. I still have a couple friends in defense."

—-

Rachel heard a knock on her office door, then looked up from her desk. "Sergeant Gordon?"

Gordon entered. "Councilor. Thanks for seeing me." He shut the door behind him. "Will Finch go the distance on Falcone?"

"He'll have to because of the press," Rachel said.

"What about Judge Phelan?"

"Someone gave me leverage."

"Who?"

"I'd rather not say." Batman.

"There's a loose thread on the Falcone case, I want to see what unravels higher up. I'm told you can be trusted."

"Who told you that?"

Gordon smiled. "I'd rather not say."

"Gordon, we're working for a masked vigilante. Maybe from a rival gang."

"My gut says he's ok. And he's getting things done in this town."

"And when he gets bolder with success? Goes too far?"

"Councilor, this guy took down a dozen of Gotham's most vicious wise guys single-handedly and without killing one of them. He's plenty bold already."