20. Lemurian Star

(Y/N) was sitting in front of a few large computer monitors in his workspace when Alfred entered through the elevator, carrying a tray with some tea as well as (Y/N)'s cell phone.

"Thank you, Alfred," (Y/N) said when he came over.

"There's a text from Miss Romanoff, Sir."

(Y/N) took a sip of the tea before looking at the phone.

Mission alert. Extraction imminent. Meet me at your place.

"When was this sent?" (Y/N) asked.

"An hour ago."

(Y/N) sighed. "Nat's gonna be pissed."

"My thoughts exactly, sir."

—-

When (Y/N) arrived at (L/N) Manor, which was still being rebuilt, he saw Nat out front with Steve.

"Are you kidding me?" She asked as he walked over. "Tell me you at least have your stuff."

(Y/N) jerked a thumb at the motorcycle he drove on. "In the bag."

Natasha opened the car door. "Get in. And hope Rumlow doesn't notice that we're an hour late."

—-

(Y/N), Steve, and Nat were on board a quinjet heading out over the Indian Ocean, along with S.H.I.E.L.D's highly advanced and highly trained STRIKE team, led by Brock Rumlow.

Rumlow was explaining the mission. "The Target is a mobile satellite launch platform. The Lemurian Star. They were sending up their last payload when pirates took them 93 minutes ago."

"Any demands?" Steve asked.

"A billion and a half."

"Why so steep?"

"Because it's S.H.I.E.L.D's."

(Y/N) sighed. "Of course it is."

"So it's not off course, it's trespassing," Steve said.

"I'm sure they had a good reason," Nat assured him.

"You know, I'm getting a little tired of being Fury's janitor."

"Relax, it's not that complicated."

"How many pirates?" (Y/N) asked.

"Twenty-five," Rumlow answered. "Led by this guy, Georges Batroc." He pulled up an image of Batroc on the monitor. "Ex-DGSE, Action Division. He's at the top of Interpol's Red Notice. Before the French demobilized him, he had thirty-six kill missions. This guy's got a rep for maximum casualties."

"I know who he is. He came to Gotham a few months ago trying to sniff me out. He puts up a fight, but with a good plan we can take him down."

Steve agreed. "Well then let's get started. Hostages?"

"Mostly techs," Rumlow said. "One officer, Jasper Sitwell. They're in the galley."

"What's Sitwell doing on a launch ship?" Steve wondered. "Alright, Batman and I will sweep the deck and find Batroc. Nat, you'll kill the engines and wait for instructions. Rumlow, you sweep aft, find the hostages, get them to the life-pods, get 'em out. Let's move."

Rumlow spoke up. "STRIKE, you heard the Cap. Gear up."

Steve stepped over to the jet's exit ramp. "Secure channel seven."

Nat did so. "Channel seven secured. Did you do anything fun Saturday night?"

"Well, all the guys from my barbershop quartet are dead so... No, not really."

The pilot came over the intercom. "Coming up by the drop zone, Cap."

Nat continued to converse. "You know, if you ask Kristen out, from statistics, she'd probably say yes."

"That's why I don't ask."

She turned to (Y/N) next. "How about you, Bats? Anyone special in your life?"

(Y/N) adjusted his gauntlets. "One. But she's with another man."

The ramp began to open.

"Aw," Nat said in mock sadness. "Who's the lucky - or unlucky - guy?"

(Y/N) walked over to where Steve was getting ready to jump out of the jet. "He's running for DA."

Steve and (Y/N) jumped out of the jet towards the ship.

Steve dived towards the starboard side while (Y/N) glided over to the port side. He silently crouched above one of the pirates before grappling down and snatching him from above, doing the same to a second pirate who noticed. He continued along his side of the deck, knocking pirates unconscious until he came around to find Steve chasing after Batroc.

There was a silent understanding between the two Avengers, and (Y/N) grappled towards the French Pirate.

As (Y/N) engaged Batroc, Steve spoke into his comm. "Natasha, Batman and I have found Batroc. Circle back to Rumlow and protect the hostages while we fight him." No reply. "Natasha!"

Batroc suddenly kicked Steve, the latter glancing to see (Y/N) slowly recovering from Batroc's attacks.

Batroc leapt and threw kicks at Steve, who blocked the attacks with his shield. Batroc flipped back and spoke.

"Je croyais que tu étais plus qu'un bouclier. [I thought you were more than just a man with a shield]," Batroc said.

Steve slid his shield onto his back and took off his mask. "On va voir. [Let's see.]"

The two continued to fight, Steve gaining ground and forcing him towards a wall. Batroc didn't see (Y/N) stand up and grapple the top of the structure, swinging above Steve and kicking Batroc in the face, knocking him through the door as well as rendering him unconscious.

Natasha was in the room, standing over a computer. "Well, this is awkward."

"What are you doing?" Steve asked as (Y/N) put his grapple gun away.

"Backing up the hard drive," She said. "It's a good habit to get into."

"Rumlow needed your help," (Y/N) said. "What are you doing?"

Steve looked at the monitor. "Saving S.H.I.E.L.D intel."

"Whatever I can get my hands on," Natasha added.

"Our mission was to find Batroc and save the hostages," (Y/N) said.

"No. That's your mission." She pulled the flash drive out. "And you've done it beautifully."

She went to leave, but Steve stopped her. "You just jeopardized this whole mission."

"I think that's overstating things."

Batroc woke and threw a grenade at the trio, which (Y/N) kicked away as though it were a football.

"Okay, that one's on me," Natasha joked.