-4-

When I got home it was quite late in the night and I carefully opened the door.

"Davis... Pssst Davis!" I said not really whispering as I marched to my elder brother's room we shared. He didn't look like me as he was my father's son from his first wife who died long ago but who even my mother considered a close friend before she courted my father, she had given me her name, that being Skarla but most just called me Skar as for some reason all find Skarla too long.

"What is it ice queen?" He said, having been writing at the light of a candle, working to become a scribe in the nearby temple.

He had strong muscle from working on the family farm and with out few animals, light brown hair and eyes matching our fathers, he was fifteen years older then me but we still got along great.

"Hello bear." I said with a smile before my serious face came back. "I need your help."

"Why are you kids doing so much noise? The walls are thin." My father said from his and mother's room as she sat on the bed I saw from here.

"I was coming home when I heard screaming, now I knew you told me to mind my business for safety and I found some--" "Something amazing like always." Davis cut me off.

"Someone." I corrected. "And this time I am speaking the truth, the cold desert, one of its statues came to life."

There was a silence of the dead in the living room as our rooms were connected directly to it.

"Skarla--" "I am telling the truth father, come see, she has hair of a color I've never seen, it must be the gift of the three gods." I ran to the door, opening it again, waving at them to follow.

I frowned at the look they were giving me.

"Skarla those stories are just that, stories."

"But mother I am telling the truth please!"

Davis sighed and walked over to me, peaking out the door as I led Joe closer and heard a soft gasp slip through his lips and his usually unreadable face morphed into shock, I love the idea of magic, a change of destiny, myths and all that but I am not daydreaming this time.

"Father, mother." He whispered, helping me get the woman off of Joe and carried her in his arms easily as he turned towards the inside of our home.

"I told the truth I huffed as I joined him on the inside as my father and mother, who was now standing by his side, harbored the same look Davis had on his face.

"I... Set her over there." Mother quickly said pointing to the broken couch with a few holes in it.

"she looks worst then when I found her." I whispered in worry, touching the back of my hand to her forehead burnt my hand.

"Skarla!" Father ran over and grabbed my hand, small blisters on the top of it, the part the touched the woman. Wow she really did burn me it was not just a strong fever. "Skarla." He said calmer as mother rubbed a sort of healing herbal creme over my skin. "Do you know the true story of the cold desert?"

"I only know the one you told off."

"There is lies in all and some know the truth but they are few, it was not one wild mage that stopped the desert with a spell but it was elemental and wild mages together of all the races that gave up their lives to stop what they called the Decay from killing everyone and they all got turned to stone, leaving the world without any true mage for a long time until the children of those like us were born with magic and they learnt."

"But if that's true." I looked at the woman. "How is she alive?"

"I don't know." Father said with a shake of his head and looking at her too probably. "I really don't know, we gotta wait for her to wake up to have our answers."

Soon all went to sleep, we couldn't do much to ease the fever that literally burnt my hand, even the wet cloth on her forehead would dry out fast and need to be replaced.

I couldn't sleep so I pulled a small stool near the couch and sat there, watching her.

Each of her features beamed with strength and mystery, I couldn't help but me immersed in the sight, watching intently.

Nothing had interested me so, not even my few romances with the daughter of the baker or son of the horse-master both whom I love and was enamored with at the time, this curiosity for this woman dwarfed them all.

It is not everyday that a piece of a far away past appears.

I stayed awake all night watching this mysterious stranger holding the secret to a world I dreamed of being part of.