-48-

I couldn't sleep.

I waited awake and in terror.

Until finally.

The alarm horns were blown.

------------------------------------------------

I followed Seva on the double, she was marching fast but I needed to jog after her to keep up.

I looked out the window we were passing as witnessed a large bodied Elite go down, dead, when a much skinnier Elite shot a lightning blast at them, it has started.

I held the staff tightly in my hands but hid something else on my person.

Praying to the gods that I would have strength to do what needs to be done while my heart sobbed in agony over the thing that needed to done.

"What the hell is going on here?!" Seva threw the window open at the end of the hall, being on the second floor we could see far.

The fighting was restricted to the inner walls of the castle with the Elites going ham on each other, the elements blazing in a furious dance of life and death.

"Who is the genius that's doing this?! I'll have them killed!!"

I reached up before and slowly unsheathed the dagger.

"I'll have them burn to a crisp with elemantal fury!"

I lifted it up and, closing my eyes, stabbed it in her back where I knew the heart to be.

I choked out a sob, not daring to look, I am so sorry...

"Just what do you think you are doing?"

I looked up with a gasp, Seva's eyes burning into mine, slowly dropping my gaze, the dagger stabbed through her palm and not her body.

"I--" Before I could do anything, a hand impacted me flat in the chest, my legs getting ripped from the ground as my body was sent flying through the hall, my weapons flying from my hands and my back finally hitting the window on the other side of this hall, shattering it.

I looked in terrified awe as the hallways vanished from my view as I fall between a rain of colorful glass shards.

I twisted my body enough to aim my hands under me and look at where I was aiming, doing the first thing that came to mind, fire.

The blast of fire was so harsh and strong that it lashed up, feeling the burning heat on my hands and face as I was thrown back into the air a bit before landing in a hard smack.

"Gah... Gods." I breathed out, pushing up, sitting as I saw something fly at me.

I backed up as fast as I could, the ground shattering up in chunks that got thrown around, I covered my face.

I looked up again, the dust clearing, my staff being slammed into the ground between my legs.

I looked higher, seeing Seva in the window frame, a leg stepped up on it and she looked like death incarnate.

She stepped out and dropped down, landing on her feet as if she didn't fall two stories down, the ground caving in under her and a spiderweb of cracks raced out from the impact point, angry wind whipping her hair around as she looked at me.

"You of all people to betray me." Her voice was venom, and her gaze molten hatred. "It will be such a waste to lose you."

I stood, yanking my staff from the ground on the second try, aiming an end at her.

"What you are doing is wrong Seva, wrong, this is not peace, this is not balance, you are killing innocents."

"No one against the crown is innocent."

"They are not against the crown!"

"Silence!" Her voice carried over the lashing of the wind, the moon shining bright on this soon to be fight. "You are a traitor, like the rest of them, I will never give up my crown! It is mine and all those against me must die for the greater good!"

"Yeah." I spun my staff and aimed the other side at her but held it the same hold as before. "Must die for the greater good." I said.

My heart wept that it came to this.  

I still loved her.

I still wished I could save her.

But she had fallen too far.

Seva was lost.

Only madness remained.

So I am sorry my love.

I am sorry my heart.

But for the greater good.

I am ending this tonight.