One At A Time

A/N: This chapter does have to do with medical things which aside from a bit of Grey's Anatomy I know nothing about, so I don't claim any of it is anywhere near accurate.

As the doctor began to explain Owen felt his heart begin to race once again.

"She managed to pull through the operation," He let out a sigh of relief, but his breath caught in his throat when she continued, "But, there were some complications. A fair amount of the damage was relatively easy to fix. However, whatever it was that caused the damage managed to break through her ribs with relative ease. Something nicked her heart, it's too hard to tell whether it was a bone fragment or the tip of a claw but it affected the rhythm of her heart. We were able to repair the damage but her heart failed twice before we were able to and both times it took us more time than is qualified as healthy to resuscitate her. Right now there is a little less brain activity than we would expect but she's been through a lot lately which could be why and we won't know more until she wakes up. We'll monitor her brain and heart closely so that if something changes, we'll have enough time to realize and try to fix it before any more damage can be done," The doctor finished explaining.

Owen's breathing was heavy and uneven as he struggled to find words to fit the dozens of thoughts racing through his mind, but in the end, he chose what mattered the most.

"But she's okay?" Owen asked with a shaky voice, he didn't feel like he could breathe as he lived through the short wait for the answer.

"As of right now, yes."

He let out the breath he was holding, shaky and ragged, he brought his hands up to his head, letting them run over his hair and tears ran down his cheeks, only this time he was happy. She was okay and even if it was only, for now, that was so much better than being told she was dead. He didn't really realize it but he was mumbling 'thank you' over and over again. Once he finally calmed down he spoke again.

"Can I see her?" Owen asked.

"Of course, but it can be hard to see close family members the way she is right now, she can't breathe on her own, and she's hooked up to a few things," The doctor answered.

"I need to be with her," Owen said.

The doctor nodded her head and led him down few hallways and up an elevator and down another hall and finally to where (Y/N) was. Owen let out a small, ragged breath when he saw her, she looked better than the last time he saw her but it was still a bit overwhelming. She had an IV in her arm, she was hooked up to a few machines, he wasn't sure he wanted to know what they did, she was still pale, and there was a tube down her throat breathing for her. It was a lot to take in, but he found some calm when his eyes fell on the heart monitor, it reminded him that she was alive, and that was what mattered, one step, one beat at a time.