The Truth

After a tense plane ride (Y/N) and Maisie found themselves being ordered around again.

"Walk to her car," The woman next to them said.

"No," Maisie said defiantly.

"It's not a choice," The woman told her.

"We weren't asking for permission," (Y/N) said, her father coming out in her.

"You'd do best to do as you're told. Not everyone will let you off the hook," The woman snapped.

The two girls glanced at each other, they couldn't win here with no place to run and no place to hide. After another flight, they found themselves at the Biosyn sanctuary. They were immediately taken to the lab area. Beta was already in a cage and the girls were told to sit and wait, then left alone for a short time.

"So, what do you think we should do?" Maisie asked.

"Normally, I would say run but they went to a lot of trouble to get us here. I'm kinda curious why," (Y/N) replied.

"So we just do nothing?" Maisie questioned, sounding upset.

"We're gathering information. Even if we ran now they have everyone watching out for us, we won't get far," (Y/N) answered, sounding surprisingly calm.

It wasn't long before Dr. Wu came into the room and sat across from them. 

"Son of a bitch. I shoulda figured you'd be here," (Y/N) huffed.

"I'm really sorry that it had to happen this way," Wu said calmly.

"Yep, that's what kidnappers say," Maisie replied,

"Claire should never have hidden you away. You're way too important, Maisie," Wu reasoned.

Maisie proceeded to flip him off, while (Y/N) glanced back at Beta, then back at Wu.

"Why did you take her?" (Y/N) asked.

"We needed her to help us understand Maisie," Wu explained simply.

(Y/N) got up and walked over and sat down next to the cage. 

"Hey Beta. How you doing?" (Y/N) asked.

"Did you say Beta? Is that her name?" Wu questioned.

"Yeah, I gave it to her the first day I saw her," (Y/N) answered.

"Beta's really special. You know, when we made Blue we used Monitor Lizard DNA to fill in the gaps in her genome. Monitor Lizards can reproduce without a mate. So Beta and Blue are genetically identical and that's what they have in common with you and-" Wu started.

"Charlotte," Maisie interrupted.

"What do you know about Charlotte?" Wu asked, the tone in the room changing.

"No, Maisie. Actually, he didn't. Charlotte did," Wu corrected.

Wu showed Maisie a few short clips of her mother.

"When you were a baby Charlotte started showing symptoms of a genetic disorder. That's how she died, she didn't know she had it until after you were born," Wu explained as another video started playing.

"Do I have it too?" Maisie asked, not taking her eyes off the screen.

"No, she changed your DNA. She altered every cell in your body to eradicate this disease. No one on Earth has ever known how to do that," Wu answered.

"She fixed me," Maisie stated.

"She had a mother who loved her and did everything she could to help her," (Y/N) thought, her mind wandering to her own mother

"Charlotte's discovery is a part of you now, your DNA could change the world. To know how she did it but I just can't replicate her work, if I could just study you and Beta, whose DNA was never changed. I could fix a terrible mistake I've made," Wu explained.

"What kind of mistake?" (Y/N) pipped up from the ground by Beta.

Henry turned to a table, Maisie doing the same, and (Y/N) standing up to be able to see the dissected locust on the table with pins in it. 

(Y/N) had been listening very closely to the whole conversation, all the while trying to figure out how she fit into the big picture. 

"But (Y/N), you're a whole new kind of genetic special, before you were even born you gave me a breakthrough very similar to Charlotte's," Wu said, almost solemnly, turning to her.