Cold & Numb

It was dark by the time they found Claire and saved her from the Dilophosaraus. 

"It's locked. We're gonna need something, something sharp, or both," Kayla reported.

A flapping sound pulled their attention to the sky to see the flaming swarm of locusts.  

"That can't be right," Kayla commented quietly.

Some of them began to die and fall to the ground, bringing the fire to the forest below. 

"Listen," Claire said after a little while.

Once they recognized Maisie's voice coming from the newly overturned car they all ran over to help everyone out of the car. Owen and Claire hugged Maisie but Owen had realized all too quickly that they were still missing someone. So, he stayed down on Maisie's level.

"Where's (Y/N)?" Owen asked, he couldn't help the desperate tone his voice claimed.

Maisie just shook her head and turned her head away in the process, not being able to look at him. Owen's whole world seemed to drop away.

"No, maybe it's not bad," Owen thought against what he knew.

"Maisie, what happened?" Owen questioned.

"They took her to another room. I don't know what they told her but she tried to get away. Then they-they shot her. I-I don't think she made it," Maisie explained, still not looking at him.

Owen's breathing hitched for a second.

"Made it out?" Owen tried to deny.

Maisie just shook her head again. Owen fell backward to the ground. He stared off into the woods although everything felt numb and cold. He tried to convince himself that she might be alright, maybe what Maisie had said wasn't true, maybe there was something she hadn't seen. But he also knew that Maisie had a fair grasp of how news like this would affect him and wouldn't have said it if she wasn't sure. He slowly put his head in his hands, running his fingers through his hair but stopped and dug his nails into the scalp, pushing his teeth together harder than normal. His mind began to spiral, even the sound of heavy footsteps approaching them barely registered. 

"Owen!" Claire called, urgency evident in her voice.

He didn't care anymore, part of him wanted to but he couldn't make himself move or even acknowledge her. Finally, she shook him, nearly knocking him over, and that stopped the downward spiral his mind was on, at least, for now. The footsteps were so close now that they were shaking the ground. Owen got back on his feet and joined the group that had moved closer to the Biosyn building. He still didn't register much until the Giganotosaurus forced him to focus. 

"What is that?" Ellie asked as the dino came closer into their clearing.

"Giganotosaurus, biggest carnivore the world's ever seen," Alan answered.

"Bigger. Why do they always have to go bigger?" Ian commented.

They had some close calls but they managed to get into the Biosyn building and scare off the carnivore. Owen would be lying if he said that he didn't want to give up.

"I"m bringing my daughter back, alive or not. I'm gonna kill whoever did this to her," Owen thought.

A/N: I'm gonna leave you on a cliffhanger again. Is Maisie right? Or did (Y/N) survive? Who knows. . .