Back In The Valley

When Owen arrived for the flight to BioSyn valley he was introduced to the rest of the team. 

"Owen, we're glad you made it. So, these are our two survey experts, Mary and Harley. Over there are our two veterinarians, Emma and Noah. And finally, our two medics Charolette and James," Avery said, pointing to each person as he introduced them, each of them responding with a small greeting before returning to their conversations. 

"All the supplies are just getting finished being loaded and then we'll be on our way," Avery continued. 

He left a moment of silence before speaking again, "I can't promise that we'll find anything. Even if we do, it might not be the outcome you're hoping for."

Owen stared off into the distance for a few moments, hands in his pockets. 

"I know, but there's hope, and I'm not leaving until I know what happened to my daughter," Owen stated firmly. 

"I hope you find her, we all do," Avery said as they boarded the helicopter. 

Everyone made small talk, except Owen that is, he just stared out the window, their conversations were a blur in the background. Once they arrived in the valley, Avery addressed the group as a whole.

"We'll be setting up a base in an abandoned BioSyne outpost about half a mile from here. There's currently no power to any of these outposts or the underground tunnels that connect them, we'll have to make do with what we have. Today we'll focus on getting set up, a week from now we'll be leaving. Our main objective is to get an estimate of the dinosaur population in the valley. You all know the story so if at all possible we'll attempt to track down Mr. Grady's daughter. You all know your roles, you have all been armed with tranquilizer darts and guns, with the exception of Mr. Grady, use them at your discretion. Let's get moving," Avery announced before leading them into the forest. 

Owen was at the back of the group, constantly surveying the surroundings for predators, but mainly, for any sign of (Y/N). They arrived at the outpost and managed to avoid any large predators, the only thing they had come across was a pack of Compys. Avery directed everyone to start setting up whatever they needed for their assigned tasks. 

"Owen, do you think you can set up a perimeter with these, so we'll have a heads up in case something big gets too close?" Avery asked, holding up the bag of sensors they had brought along.  

Owen did as he was instructed, attaching the sensors to trees surrounding the outpost, alternating between putting them further out into the woods and closer to the outpost. By the time everyone finished setting up their areas and gear, it was sunset. Owen couldn't sleep that night, which wasn't out of the ordinary but this time it was different. He was so close to finding out what happened and he was just laying there, waiting for the sun to come up. He felt so helpless. Needless to say, the morning seemed to take years to come and when it finally did he was the first up and ready to go. 

"Alright, today the main goal is to get a feel for exactly how many species are still surviving in the valley. As we go along keep track of how many of each species you see, and make note of any abnormalities you notice. The survey team has tablets that don't require Wi-Fi to store any necessary information. If you see something and aren't sure if they do, make sure to point it out to them. Along with abnormalities in the dinosaurs, keep an eye on the environment around us as well. No one is allowed to wander off by themselves, stick to the group as much as possible," Avery explained, looking directly at Owen with emphasis on the last sentence. 

Owen was absent-mindedly fiddling with his gun and wasn't really paying attention until they began venturing into the forest. They came across quite a few large groups of herbivores but they didn't find any carnivores. The first two days were uneventful, with no sign of (Y/N), the most he had found was a trail of blood when they had visited the main center but it was too faded to follow. On the third day, they were going through one of the thickest parts of the forest, there were paths crisscrossing through it from dinosaurs and a few open patches here and there but for the most part, it was hard to see much. Their goal was to reach a small outlet from the main lake. As they went along each day they placed video cameras at spots that the dinosaurs seemed to pass by often because even with a whole week they'd never be able to find all of them on their own. They were walking along a path that sloped down on each side at a fairly steep angle. Most of the dinosaur paths seemed to cross over this one, like a convergence of all the paths cutting through that part of the forest. 

Owen was at the back of the group, as usual. Further into the forest, they heard a dinosaur roar, unmistakably some sort of carnivore. 

"Couldn't stay peaceful forever," Owen thought, gripping his gun tighter, ready to put it to use.