Take A Look

"I'll stay here if that's what it takes then. I won't let them drag me away again," Owen finished his thought.

"I never wanted to leave you here, it was never my choice to leave you here. They drugged me, and by the time that wore off, we were gone. I never stopped trying to get back here to find you. I know you have no reason to believe me but at least give me a chance to prove it," Owen explained, slowly getting to his feet as he spoke.

(Y/N) remained where she was, eyeing him cautiously. She glanced up toward the path Owen had come from to see the rest of his team now watching him. 

Owen saw her flinch, "Is she scared of them?"

But there was something different about the look on her face, it took a moment before it clicked with him.

"Pain. She got shot, even if it healed, without proper attention if it hit a bone it'd still cause her pain," Owen figured, deciding to wait on beating himself up about it for not realizing sooner until later.

"They can help you, Wu told me what happened that day. At least come back with us and let them look at you, then you'll be free to do whatever you want," Owen bargained desperately.

"Did he tell you what they did to me before I was born?" (Y/N) whispered in a shaking voice, just loud enough so that Owen could hear.

Confusion flooded through him, and a hint of anger followed, he could tell by her voice that whatever it was, it wasn't good. 

"No, he didn't, but you could tell me all about it," Owen replied softly.

(Y/N) looked back into the dense forest behind her, then back at Owen and after a few seconds that seemed to last forever she nodded her head. She began to walk back toward him and he held his hand out for her.

"Don't get confused, I'm the same helpless little kid I used to be," (Y/N) snapped.

Owen stood there for a few seconds after she walked past him before he turned and walked with her. 

"Is there any way I can fix this?" Owen panicked over the thought until they were back on the main path.

"You guys can keep going if you want, I just need Charolette or James to come back with me to look at her," Owen explained.

"I can go," Charolette volunteered.

"Alright, we're gonna keep going for a bit, we should be back in an hour or two," Avery said.

Owen nodded and the three of them made their way back to camp. They were silent the whole way back.

"I can take her, you can go get everything ready for the others," Charolette finally spoke up once they arrived.

Owen thought for a second, then nodded, and Charolette led (Y/N) to the little medic area. Once Owen had walked away Charolette spoke again.

"You're a pretty big deal back home, they talked about you on the news a lot."

"Really?" (Y/N) asked, seeming genuinely surprised. 

"Oh yeah, your Dad made quite the fuss about getting back here to find you," Charolette answered.

"Oh," (Y/N) said simply.

"You should really give him a chance," Charolette tried to convince her.

"Even before he left me here, he still chose Maisie over me," (Y/N) explained.

"I don't think that's strictly true, before he came here Claire told him if he left they wouldn't be there when he got back. He didn't give it a second thought," Charolette told her.

(Y/N) sat there, processing what she had just been told.

"Can you show me where they shot you?" Charolette asked. 

She looked (Y/N) over, they talked for a while, and then she asked a few more questions.

"How have you been sleeping?" Charolette asked.

"I live in a valley full of dinosaurs," (Y/N) answered.

"Fair enough. How's your food situation been?" Charolette continued.

"I make it work," (Y/N) replied.

Charolette could tell from looking her over that making it work was barely cutting it. She dug through a box for a bit then tossed a bag of cookies to (Y/N). 

"They're kinda old but they do the trick for now. It sounds like everyone else is back, I'm gonna go talk to your Dad, you can wait here for now," Charolette said before leaving the room.

Owen took notice of her and immediately went up to her.

"The bullet fractured one of her ribs, it never healed properly, I can't do anything for it now. She's probably been fighting infections on and off since it happened. She's been able to find enough food to keep her alive but that's about it, she can't stay here any longer," Charolette explained.

Owen let out a ragged breath, "She's only gonna leave if she chooses to, you could run off at any time and we'd never find her before we have to leave."

Before either of them could say anything else, the device that was connected to the sensors Owen had placed around the area began beeping loudly, signaling that one or more of the sensors had been set off. Only a few seconds after that, they heard large footsteps heading their way.

"Well shit, it's just one thing after another here isn't it?"  Owen thought.