Chapter 1

"Are you sure you've got everything love?" asked Sally for the twentieth time that morning as Sophie unloaded her backpack from the back of the car.

"Yes mum, I've still got everything." groaned Sophie as she lugged the heavy bag on to her back, pulling a face as she took the weight of it.

It was the summer holidays of 2012 and Sophie had signed up for six weeks away in Spain with her college. It was going to be weeks of activities with fellow students and what she hoped would be a lot of fun nights out getting into a paralytic state caused by copious amounts of alcohol entering her system. Her and her friends had been planning the trip for months and now it was finally here, she couldn't wait to get out of Manchester and enjoy some sun and relaxation away from her nagging family. There was around fifty students going on the trip and as Sophie wasn't exactly the social butterfly she had hoped, she only spoke to a handful of the attendees.

"Well better safe than sorry, that's my motto." stated Sally, giving Sophie a broad smile as they stepped away from the vehicle.

"And you've got your passport and ticket?" asked Kevin, locking the car as he joined his wife and daughter.

Sophie rolled her eyes, "Yes, I've got them. I'm eighteen years old Dad, not eight."

"Okay okay." said Kevin, holding his hands up defensively as he picked up Sophie's hand luggage and walked with her to the check in desk.

Sophie hated flying. Not because being in the air scared her or anything like that. It was merely the struggle you went through to get on to the actual plane and how much of a pain it was going through all the security and bag checks. Needless to say she was relieved when check in was over and she was ready to go through the gate to meet her friends at the other side.

"Be safe love, don't do anything silly while you're there." said Sally sternly causing Sophie to roll her eyes once again.

"Don't roll your eyes at your mother. She's right, make sure you're sensible and don't go anywhere by yourself. You and Katy have to look after each other." added Kevin.

Sophie opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by her mother once again who was adamant she'd not leave out any information she felt was vital her daughter should know. Sophie stood rather impatiently, her arms folded across her chest as she waited for Sally to stop ranting about drugs, drink spiking, predatory men, mugging and knife crime.

"I'll be sure to watch out for predatory men with knives and drugs who want to spike my drink and then mug me Mum, don't worry." stated Sophie dryly.

Kevin rested his hand on his daughter's shoulder, "Just be careful Soph, that's all we want. Have fun, but stay safe. You're still our little girl and we worry about you. Try not to do anything Rosie would do."

Sophie snorted at her father's comment. Her sister was notorious for getting herself in to rather odd situations such as ending up passed out in a nightclub due to one too many shots.

"I'll try to do the exact opposite of anything Rosie would do, don't worry." chuckled Sophie.

"Alright Soph, have fun, I'm sure you'll have a brilliant time." Kevin outstretched his arms, enveloping his youngest daughter in a hug before releasing her and resting his hands on her shoulders, "Let us know you've got there safe okay?"

Sophie nodded in response, smiling widely at her father, "I'll give you a text when we get there."

"I'll miss you love, have a great trip." gushed Sally, pulling Sophie in to a tight hug that seemed like it would last forever.

Sophie patted her mother on the back a few times, a little uncomfortable before Sally eventually pulled away from her and stood back, beaming at her daughter.