Chapter 37

"Right then! Is everyone ready?" shouted Mr Maddison, a look of excitement on his face as he passed the ball over to Chesney.

"Ready babe?" asked Sophie, raising her eyebrows expectantly at Sian across the net.

Sian grinned, "Oh you're not gonna be winning this time Webster, I'm showing no mercy."

"Has history taught you nothing blondie?" laughed Sophie, "You can't beat the best at volleyball."

"No I just beat you at everything else." teased Sian.

Sophie scowled, looking back to her team and nodding, "We ready?"

Everyone nodded and Mr Maddison seemed pleased, blowing his whistle as the game began.

It was the day after the girls had went for drinks and everyone was taking part in activities on the beach. The group had opted for a few games of volleyball in the same teams as they'd played a few weeks ago but there was no denying there was a much different atmosphere hanging over everyone this time around. The tension and anger towards one another last time had been obvious to anyone passing by yet as the game continued it became clear the whole event was going to be much more light hearted. Instead of scowling at one another when the other team scored, Sophie or Sian managed to grin at the other like goofs before picking up the ball to continue. Although it was only a handful of the team members that knew about the girls, the lack of hostility seemed to rub off on the rest of the group and if they didn't know better they'd say they were actually having fun.

Sian let out a girl scream as she thrust the ball over the net and everyone scrambled to get it, failing miserably as it connected with the sand.

"Oh my god we won a game!" squealed Sian excitedly, enveloping Kerry in a hug before jumping up and down on the spot. She turned to Sophie and pressed her thumbs to the side of her head, wiggling her fingers and poking her tongue out playfully, "You suck Webster."

Sophie couldn't help but laugh at Sian's childishness and shook her head, "Sorry, I'm a bit distracted today."

Sian looked at Sophie with a puzzled expression but as she watched the brunette's eyes scan over her body slowly before smirking at her, Sian's cheeks instantly flushed pink at the realisation of what Sophie had meant and she quickly turned back to her team.

As things stood, both teams had won a game each and despite the light-hearted nature of the game, things were slowly growing more heated and intense between everyone as they were all adamant they were going to win.

The next game progressed rather quickly, neither team showing any mercy and brutally hurtling the ball over the net without really thinking of the consequences. The gloating and open mocking of one another remained playful but a certain seriousness laced them and Mr Maddison couldn't help the growing sense of discomfort whilst watching things unfold. Even though he wasn't one of the students, he wasn't blind or stupid and as head of year, it would have been impossible for him not to know about the rivalry between the group having had to sort out a few arguments between them in the past.

Sophie's team erupted into cheers and exchanged high fives and pats on the back as Sam punched the ball over the net and it collided with the sand on the opposite side, earning them one more point closer to victory. There was no denying the teams were a good match for one another, each strong and determined and dangerously competitive.

"Well done Miss Coyle, very good shot." congratulated Mr Maddison from the side, trying to keep the game friendly.

Little did he know that he was only fuelling the irritation on Sian's team, the likes of Tina getting increasingly annoyed by the gloating and taunting they were all receiving. Had it been a few weeks ago, Sian would also have been likely to hop the net and punch Sophie in the face for her arrogance but strangely enough she found it oddly endearing that Sophie could be so competitive and so instead just smiled to herself as she watched the brunette celebrate.