Chapter 17

"Damn it." mumbled Sophie, placing her phone back on the table and letting out a frustrated sigh.

"Still won't answer your calls huh?" asked Sam, smiling sympathetically.

Sophie nodded, "It's not that I'm that bothered about her not wanting to see me again, we only had one date. I just … I hate how things ended and I'd like to fix it."

"Maybe it's for the best Soph." started Katy, "I mean if she can't handle taking shit from Powers she's certainly got involved with the wrong woman."

Sophie managed a laugh, "Yeah you're probably right … Do you think she did it on purpose?"

"Spilling the drink?" asked Sam, Sophie nodding in response, "I dunno … it's a tricky one. I mean, yeah she loves to fuck with you but I don't really see what she had to gain from fucking with Rose."

"Making me miserable?" suggested Sophie with a shrug.

Sam seemed to agree and nodded slowly, "True … I guess only Powers'll ever know."

Sophie mumbled her agreement, picking up her almost empty pint of lager and taking a large gulp of the remaining contents. It was a Friday and there was no scheduled events for the weekend giving all the students a lot of free time to do whatever they wished. Sophie had noticed an advertisement a few days ago for a small carnival that was going to be in town over the weekend and she thought it would have been fun to take Rose as a second date. However, since the blonde no longer seemed to want anything to do with her, it left Sophie no choice but to miss out on the entire thing. It was moments like these when Sophie really wondered how her friends could be so different to her, neither Sam or Katy taking any pleasure in a funfair and stating they were 'full of annoying kids and scruffs'. Also, not that she'd admit it, but Sam was terrified of all carnival rides so she steered clear of them at all costs.

"I'm going for a cigarette." mumbled Sophie, getting up from their table at the hotel bar to go and feel sorry for herself outside.

She'd meant what she said, she wasn't overly disappointed that Rose hadn't wanted to see her again. However, she regretted what had happened and would have loved a chance to explain or make amends but it would seem Rose had other ideas and had opted for just ignoring Sophie completely. The brunette was a little stunned by Rose's behaviour and hadn't taken her for someone who would hold a grudge or be so angry over such a small incident.

As Sophie stepped outside, she noticed someone hunched over on one of the benches closer to the main road, head in hands and seemingly upset.

Sophie looked up at the sky and pulled a face, "What the fuck is it with you constantly thrusting us together? Why is it always me? Why is she everywhere I go? What's your plan big guy?"

Obviously not getting an answer from the guy in the sky, Sophie opted for taking a deep breath as she prepared herself before heading over to join an obviously upset Sian on the bench. The brunette took a seat, a healthy distance away from Sian, and withdrew a cigarette from her pocket, lighting it quickly and taking a long drag as she leant forward, resting her arms on her thighs and staring ahead.

"What's up blondie?" asked Sophie, continuing to keep her gaze fixed firmly on anything in front of her.

Sian's head quickly snapped up out of her hands, having not noticed someone was beside her and was a little shocked to see Sophie.

"What do you want." muttered Sian, resting her elbows on her legs and curling her hands into fists as she rested her chin on them.

"Well …" started Sophie, raising her cigarette to her lips and taking a quick drag before holding it out to Sian who took it gratefully, "You're obviously upset about something. Wanna talk about it?"