Chapter 12

Lucas

And how right Lucas was. 
It had taken five minutes until the discussions were back up and his father had joined Alexander and Anthony. From there the night and the discussions turned south.

"They will never change. Once we trust them they will turn their back on us when we need them. Just like they did before. We have given them our trust, had followed their rules, and what was the thanks? Treating us like animals and hunting us down," Alexander spoke.

"But that is-"
"And let's not forget that they have let us down during the war and famine. They had told us we could feast on animals, they made a joke of us," Mr. Carter interrupted Lucas.
Lucas growled.

"Lucas!" Anthony exclaimed and gave him a warning glance.
He breathed through.
Wished they were so hard on him because he was young and until tonight the newest member of the council, and not because they didn't agree with his views.

"That was decades and a century ago. As I said several times before, the ARIA has changed," Lucas spoke in a way calmer voice now.
"Who tells us that they changed? Just because you work for them, it doesn't mean you know them. We can and will not rely on one opinion," Mr. Carter fired back.

"But how are you going to find out if you don't try? Now I don't wanna say that the ARIA is perfect, no organization is. We aren't perfect either. But I'm trying to say that changes have happened and mistakes accepted. The people who had mistreated us had been discharged a long time ago, and new rules to protect our rights have been put in force," Lucas disagreed.

"We're the only one pushing away," Jonah added. "If we don't start working with them instead of against them, we'll be in the disadvantage when other kinds should attack us."
"We won't need anyone's help. All we need is our community holding together as we always did," David said.

"That's exactly the problem. We are losing more and more the younger generation of wolves. Don't you see that?" Lucas pointed out.
"That's because they need more discipline. We should enforce our laws to ensure that they stay true to their heritage," Alexander suggested.

"That will not help with anything."
"Jeremiah is right. Enforcing the laws will only cause us to lose the younger generation forever. They want change, but not like this," Lucas spoke.

"We won't know until we try," Alexander used his words from before.
"We know, because exactly these laws, the behavior of the council, is causing the younger wolves to leave our community. If you want that, keep on," Lucas argued.

"We should try."
"And just like that, we should try to give the other kinds and the ARIA a chance. In general, we should be more open and change our behavior," Lucas turned it around.
Alexander glared at him and by the glare, he was giving him, Lucas knew that this night would become even longer and tiring.

...

The next evening after school Lucas walked into Wyatt's workplace.
He had asked if they could have dinner together, so Lucas went to get some takeaway and drove to the car shop.

Finding Wyatt wasn't too hard. He was working on a car in the garage.
Lucas stepped closer and crouched down before knocking on the hood. "Up for some dinner?"
Wyatt rolled out from under the car and moved his head from side to side to relax his muscles.

"Thank the goddess. I'm starving," Wyatt exclaimed and got up. They found a place outside and started eating. Wyatt moaned as he bit into his pizza.

Lucas shook his head amused and grabbed himself a slice.
"So, why did you want me to come here?"
"To bring me food?" Wyatt laughed.
"Yeah, we both know that's not it."