Chapter 34

Lucas 

They all shut up when Anthony had raised his voice. "Sit down," Anthony ordered and looked at them with a warning look. They followed and waited for him to talk.

The council didn't have a leader, but Anthony was here the longest, he was the oldest, so they respected him a little more. However, that didn't give him any more privileges.
After he remained quiet for a while, Anthony looked at Lucas, who didn't move a muscle, waited for him to talk.

"Lucas? What do you say?"
"I say Jeremiah is right. Let's not be blinded by our past and do what is good for our people." Anthony seemed to think about that.
"Discuss, but discuss with letting everyone talk," Anthony declared.

"I would like to say that making a change is our best option," Elijah spoke first.
"It is not. We can go on like this and function as a community," Mr. Carter disagreed.
"But that's the problem. Our community already doesn't function because we are unwilling to make a change. I remember having this discussed several times. The younger generation will say no to us and leave."

"Henrik is right. We will lose them forever if we don't start to make a change," Richard supported him. "It's about time and what do we have to lose?"
"Everything!" Alexander exclaimed. "By all respect, do you seriously want to go through all the pain, blame, and embarrassment we have gone through again? They don't deserve our forgiveness and we deserve to be treated better than that."

Lucas wanted to speak up at this, once again point out the changes that had already taken place, but August beat him to it: "No one of us wants that, but they do deserve our forgiveness. After all, they have changed. I have seen it."

"What change? They are no better than they have been before."
"That's not true," David intervened and looked at Lucas for this. "I have taken a look into the laws of the ARIA. Lucas is right. Several laws had been introduced many years ago to protect the were kind and our traditions." David had changed his opinion a lot. He had been one of his biggest opposers at the beginning.

"I have taken the time to observe our younger generation and they are friends with other kinds, who treat them fairly. I have even seen some with vampires, laughing, and having fun. If they can do it, we can, too," Gabriel added.

"What's important to mention is also that the kind does not play a role when we're with others. Everyone is treated equally and while there are still people who don't think the best of us, we have people in our own community, who don't think better of them. These people will always exist and they will exist everywhere," Lucas spoke up.

This wasn't exactly his idea and he hadn't planned it. It was something Luna had said to Wyatt last week. There was an incident at college, where one of Wyatt's friends had found out that Wyatt was black. He had insulted him and said some bad things.

Before Lucas could speak up for his best friend, Emma did. Reyna and Luna didn't let him off the hook easily either. When they told Natalie later, she had wanted to teach him some manners.
It was after the boy left, that Luna told him that. That there will always be people that won't like us, but there will be more people that love us.

Reyna had agreed to that, stating that there were people who hated Luna, which was hard to believe since she was an angel, but it was true.

"But... but...," Alexander did not know what to say. What argument to bring up.
"We can't allow it. We have to introduce measures against it and protect them. We should not change and we have the right to stay like we are," Mr. Carter said.

"No. We have the right to protect ourselves, but we're just isolating ourselves," Jonah said.
"The truth is that we are living in the world of the younger generation. They don't live in ours, because it doesn't exist anymore. So, we need to learn from them because they know better than us. It's time to learn from each other," Jeremiah pointed out.