Part 7

The next day, Paula went straight to the psychic on the ballot. It took her a while to get there, but after asking several neighbors in the neighborhood, she was finally able to do so. The psychic's house had no distinguishing markings from the other houses except for a small sign next to the mailbox informing her of the service she provided. Paula, a little nervous, as she didn't know who she was about to meet, knocked on the door.

-Hello, good morning, is anyone there? -Paula called softly.

When she saw that no one opened the door, she knocked again. The psychic named Eydelme opened the door.

-Good morning, child, how can I help you? -asked the psychic.

Paula got a big surprise, she was older than she had imagined, her hair was gray and gray, her face and arms were full of wrinkles and she was wearing a ragged turquoise dress.

-I am... I am... I am Paula, I have come to see if you could help me," said the girl. Eydelme inspected her closely.

-Aha, I see, do you have enough money to pay for the service, it's 15 dollars an hour," said the old woman.

-No, no, I don't have anything, but I can pay you with my service, I can sweep your house, clean your windows, wash your clothes, cook, iron, I can do everything. My mother taught me," said the girl.

Eydelme's wrinkled face lit up.

-Ahh, that doesn't sound bad, Paula, come in," said the old woman.

As she entered, Paula knew why she had taken the deal without a second thought. Her house was a nest of bacteria. There were cobwebs around the windowsills and dust all over the floor, it was a mess of a house.

-Well girl, I get paid in advance, so while I get a few things ready to take care of you, you can get started. Behind the refrigerator is the broom and mop, and under the sink are the soaps. You can start. Paula got ready to start.

Meanwhile, David was getting ready for school, his mom was making him go, even though he didn't like it at all.

-Mom, where are my shoes and socks? -cried David.

-The shoes are on the shelf and the socks are in the closet," said his mother. David put on his socks and shoes and brushed his teeth, then said goodbye and left. The only thing David liked about going to school was being able to play soccer with the other kids. He didn't see the point of studying to get a good job and then get a good salary if he was already earning money some other way. When he got to school he sat next to Mario, his only gang mate. The rest of the gang didn't go to school.

-David, last night when I got home my mom almost made me jump off a bridge with so many questions," Mario whispered to him.

-And did you tell her anything? -asked David.

-No, of course not, but you'd better cancel today's raid, or else my mom will go crazy," whispered Mario.

-I don't know, I think so," said David.

David didn't like math. Actually, he didn't like any subject, but mathematics, in particular, annoyed him a lot. Especially, because of his teacher, Mr. Stuart, he was an obnoxious, bitter, life-hating look in his eyes, and he seemed to be widening at David.

-Can you tell me, Mr. David, what is your answer to this multiplication? -Professor Stuart said, pointing to the blackboard forcefully.

-This... Uh... -said David, not knowing what to say, so he glanced at his partner's notebook in front of him.

-It's three, Professor Stuart," said David, confident.

-That's correct, Mr. David. But next time I'm going to ask you to check the result in your notebook. At the end of the class you are going to write "I will be an honest student" 50 times on the board, okay? -Professor Stuart demanded.

David nodded and the whole class let out a low murmur of laughter.

-Everyone shut up," Stuart shouted.

Everyone shut their mouths.

-Do you want what happened to your friend David to happen to you? -Stuart said.

-No," they all replied.

At the end of the class, David pretended that no one had said or ordered him to do anything.

-Are you forgetting something, Mr. David," asked Stuart.

-No, not that I remember," David lied. Stuart got up from his seat and approached David.

-One of the strict rules of this school, Mr. David, is to apply a firm hand against students, and if that doesn't work, another method must be applied," said Mr. Stuart, picking up a wooden ruler.

-Aha, and... What is that method? -he asked nervously. Well, that method is this," said Stuart and dropped the wooden ruler against the boy's back twice in a row.

-Now Mr. David, do you remember anything? -David wanted to know.

-Yes," he said, while trying not to shed the tears that choked his eyes, full of fury.

-Surely you don't think I know guys like you, Mr. David," he said, as David approached the blackboard with a chalk in his hand.

-Crime, crime shines in the eyes of guys like you, Mr. David. Who knows how many barbarities you have committed in your short life. But I tell you something, never, never, not even if you wish it with all your might, will you be able to get rid of all the misdeeds you have done, and have yet to do, they will always torment you, until the last day of your life," said Stuart, moving towards the exit, "I'm going to get a coffee, I hope you're finished by then," said Stuart, leaving the room. David, furious, picked up the chalk, and smashed it against the blackboard, but after a moment he realized that he had to hurry. Mr. Stuart would be back soon, and as much as he hated him and wanted to claw his eyes out, he couldn't do it. She picked up another piece of chalk, and began to write what her teacher had instructed her to write.