Part 37

Dinner time had arrived, and Vilma was more than ready to propose to David, she was very nervous; however, she knew how to handle it in the best way. David sat right in front of Vilma and King Fabius sat in front of Queen Elizabeth.

-Dad, mom, this is David, my chauffeur," Vilma introduced them to each other.

-I was anxious to see who my daughter's friend was.

-You are very charming, Queen Isabel," David complimented her.

-It's a pleasure to meet you," said Fabio, from the other side of the table.

-You don't know what an honor it is for me to be dining with the royal family, which I certainly consider my home.

David was a bundle of nerves, he couldn't help thinking what the kings would think when they found out that they were dining with a vile and disgusting little thief, but he didn't let that bring him down and make him look ridiculous, he preferred to concentrate his attention on how beautiful princess Vilma was that night.

-We are flattered to hear that from you, David, truly," King Fabius told her.

At that moment three maids arrived to serve dinner, they placed on the table a delicious lobster on each plate, and next to it a green salad and as a starter they served a small lentil soup. Once dinner was served, King Fabio wished his guests bon appetit and began to enjoy the dishes and the delicious champagne. During the evening, Vilma cast some fleeting glances at the chauffeur David, who was concentrating on his meal, and she suspected that he had never had such an amazing delicacy on his table.

Queen Elizabeth spent every minute casting glances at Vilma, trying to signal to her that it was time for her to do so.

It was until dinner was finished and dessert was served that Princess Vilma rose from her chair, and asked for David's attention.

-David, I know that what I am about to tell you, is not something you expect at all, and I know you may think it is too abrupt, or too fast, but, my mother has instilled in me a philosophy of not believing in the value of something by its time span, but by how much or how little it is accomplished in that time, I don't know if I made myself clear, but....

David saw the princess standing there, nervous about something she was about to tell him, but at the same time with a smile in her eyes, what could be so important that Vilma was about to say?

-David, what I mean by all this, is to ask you, if you... if you would become my husband," proposed Princess Vilma, with a lump in her throat and her eyes overflowing with expectation.

-But, princess, you are serious, I am just a humble chauffeur, you make me think you are playing with me," said David, who cut off all Vilma's illusions.

-David, I'm not making fun of you, I swear it's not a joke, in these two days I've discovered that I like you, that I want to become your partner, that.... -Vilma made balls.

-David, listen. -What happens is that Vilma does not know how to explain very well what is happening, let me tell you what happens, according to our rules, and those of all the other kingdoms, exactly every thirty-five years the kings of each kingdom are renewed, of course these kings are the sons of the past rulers. But, to be able to accede to the crown, Vilma has to marry, if she remains single she cannot claim the kingdom, and consequently, all our kingdom of Empress would become part of the kingdom of Cilindrar. What I am trying to explain is that tomorrow will be thirty-five years, and if my daughter Vilma is not married by tomorrow, we will lose the kingdom, and everything we know will change completely, but..., if you decide to marry my daughter, we will keep the kingdom, and you and princess Vilma will be the new rulers of the kingdom of Empress -the queen explained. David was completely astonished.

-So, does that mean you are using me to be queen, Vilma? -David questioned.

-No, of course not, David, since I met you I felt something different, I really like you, David, and not only I like you, these days I have found myself falling in love with you. You are not an object, of course not, you are my choice David, that's what you are. Be sure that if I had more time I would dedicate myself to get to know you better, to see your good sides and your bad sides, but we lack time, and I... I need an answer David.

-It is something too abrupt for me, Princess Vilma; however I understand that you are desperate and that you do everything for the good of the kingdom, and rest assured, Lady Vilma that from the first moment I saw you I also felt something different, a feeling as if I had found something I had lost a long, long time ago, and I do not want to refuse your request, Princess, I accept.

She rounded the table and went straight to him, to give him a big hug, and of course, a kiss.

Queen Elizabeth and King Fabius applauded loudly the happy couple, and beckoned the musicians who were waiting behind the door to come closer, it was time to start playing. It was an unforgettable dinner, with candles, delicious food, dreamy music and most wonderful of all, the yes of David, who was overwhelmed with emotion. It was a night that changed lives.