Part 21

When David and Joshua arrived at their house, they entered without making much noise.

-How are you, Mom? -said Joshua, hoping that his mother would look back at him.

-Oh, hi, good, how was work? -asked his mother, but when she looked back at his face, she froze and made a perfect "O" with her mouth.

-Oh, my goodness, but.... What happened? -she exclaimed.

David had thrown the ski mask into a dumpster on the way over. But that wouldn't stop his mother from finding out. Joshua, almost on the verge of uncontrollable, told her what had happened and how David had put the gun on him and how he had almost killed his own brother.

-But how could you David, how could you have become a crook, when did I teach you to make a living that way, when did I show you the path of evil, tell me when and I promise you that I will never forgive myself, I promise you," said his mother between tears, while she hugged Joshua tightly, who was also crying.

-I don't know, mom, I don't know when or how it crossed my mind, I just did it and I swear, mom, I would never try to hurt my family, my people, really, mom, I swear. I didn't see it was Joshua, I didn't see it was him coming, mom, you must believe me please, I promise it's the truth," said David.

-I do believe you, son, I really believe you and I had suspected that you were up to no good, but I was never sure, and believe me, son, it's not the fact that you tried to rob your own brother, it's the fact that you stole, you were a delinquent, a crook, why did you do it, David, why, why did you decide to ruin your life by throwing it in the garbage dump like that, what happened? -she wanted to know.

-Mom, nothing happened, I can't blame anyone, it's something I have in my blood, an uncontrollable desire to do harm, and the economic situation we went through was the trigger, it was what motivated me to steal, the desire, the longing to have a better life, that's what inspired me," said David, with tears running down his face.

-I understand, son, that you wanted to lead a better life, that you wanted to better yourself, it is the most natural thing in the world, but that will never be the way, never think that because it is easy it is right and I know that I am giving you this advice a little late, but let me give it to you anyway, never for the love of God, never think that evil is in your blood, because it is not so, you are a good boy. You must not think that. Tell me, David, how long have you been stealing? -asked his mother.

-Fifteen years," he answered, and she put her hand to her forehead.

-Fifteen years? Fifteen years hiding this barbarity from me, fifteen years living deceived, believing that I had an exemplary son, a son of good principles, oh, for God's sake. David, but you were just a child, but you were just learning to live. Tell me... was it those friends you've been hanging out with all your life that motivated you to do this, was it them, was it that Peter guy, or that Mario, or maybe it was that Koda, was it that Koda? Tell me, who was it? -asked his mother, furious.

-No, none of them. Fifteen years ago I was the one who told them to make a robbery group, something like a gang, and they accepted, it was like that mom, I promise," said David, crying his eyes out.

-I believe you, even if it hurts me to believe it, I think it was your idea and I think that all this time you have seen my silly face. But now, David, you are going to have to make a decision, because, although it hurts me in my soul, I will not allow you, as your mother, to continue hurting innocent people, I will not let my son be responsible for more people to suffer. I know that you can't turn back time and prevent you from hurting who knows how many people you hurt; however, now that I know, I can prevent you from continuing to do it," his mother told him, very angry.