Part 35

Meanwhile, Peter was waiting in reception, and thought that perhaps he had already given Paula all the help he could, she was already where she belonged, she was with Eydelme, and he knew that with that money they could both have a decent life, and they would know how to enjoy it. He no longer had room in that place.

He left the asylum, and walked slowly through the streets of the kingdom, with the intention of hiding in the cabin in the forest from where he had freed the beautiful Paula, his freedom was in danger, and he knew he had to hide if he did not want the police to capture him. Suddenly, as he was about to turn a corner, he came face to face with two officers of the kingdom, who, despite the dark glasses, recognized him instantly.

-Stop there, young man," shouted one of the officers, as Peter turned and ran as fast as his feet would carry him.

When had this happened, why had it taken him by surprise, why were those policemen right in that place at that moment, why were they there? Peter couldn't answer that question, maybe it was his destiny, maybe this was how it was all supposed to end. He continued running, as fast as he could, with the two officers at his heels. However, after three minutes of pursuit, one of the officers decided to draw his gun and point it at the boy.

-Stop or I'll shoot," the officer shouted.

But he kept running, he still had hopes of getting out of it, he could not let them stop him, if he was caught he would be condemned to the death penalty, and if he had learned anything from Paula it was to love life. He ran as fast as he could, he was already close to a corner, where he could turn and miss the officers when suddenly he felt something hit him very hard in the back, and his body began to fail him, to stop responding to him. He could only do one thing, and that was to fall, to fall flat on his face against the solid ground. The officer had fired. Both policemen approached the boy, and took his pulse.

-No," said one of them, "he's dead.

And so he was.

Paula never saw Peter again for the rest of her life.

The news of Peter's death spread throughout the kingdom of Empress, where the media informed all the inhabitants of the death of the boy, who had fled from justice, and had faced death.

Meanwhile, back at the castle, David was already settled in his room, with new clothes to suit him, a full stomach and lying on the most comfortable bed he had ever been in. He asked one of the maids for a phone to inform his mother that he would not be home that night, and then lay down on the bed to watch some television. The news was really boring, they exposed cases about the latest drug shipment seized, and reported on the next convivial activities coming up in the Empress kingdom; however, after that news, they aired one that stunned David.

-The entire population of the kingdom of Empress is informed about the death of Peter Arias, who, according to what we are told, had been the cause of death of two officers of the kingdom, and who in the middle of a police chase suffered the impact of a bullet in his left side of his back, which would end his life seconds later.

The news left David stunned, he could not believe that his friend Peter no longer existed, that he had been killed. Knowing that one of the members of his gang had died was something that left him stunned and helpless, for there, inside that room in the castle he could do absolutely nothing, either to help Peter's relatives or to support them in the midst of that heavy loss. However, he came to the conclusion that the funeral would probably be tomorrow, so he would ask the princess for permission to attend. Although, after thinking about it a little better, David sensed that asking permission to go to a delinquent's funeral would make him look very bad in front of the princess, so he was going to make up any other excuse except to say he was going to his delinquent friend's funeral. A thousand things were going through his mind, like when had Peter murdered those two officers? Because it was obvious that he had, he believed him capable. However, David kept defending him, because the truth was that nobody kills two policemen just because, Peter had to have gotten out of hand, it was obvious that this had happened.