Part 5

Meanwhile, in the kingdom of Empress, a boy named David was with his gang. Today they were going to rob one of the many alleys in the kingdom.

-All right, gang, today we're going to rob Meimbrow Alley, get ready. Anyone who passes through Meimbrow Alley will wish they had never been born. And you know, if you don't want it the easy way, you're going to want it the hard way," David told the gang.

-Okay," said the rest of the gang, who were Peter, Mario and Koda.

-Don't forget to sharpen your knives," David reminded them, as he put his knife in a small leather case.

The boys left for Meimbrow Alley, they were all thirteen years old and hid behind a dumpster. It was Mario's turn. Just then a little old lady with a handbag passed by. Mario stopped her and put a knife to her neck.

-Give me that purse and everything you have if you don't want to see the famous light at the end of the tunnel tonight," said Mario, holding the knife tightly to her neck.

The lady screamed, but shut up instantly. She gave the boy her purse and a pearl necklace she was wearing. Mario pulled the knife away from her neck. The lady, as she was leaving, let out a few moans.

-Now what am I going to do without my medicine," the old woman moaned.

Mario, who was the one who had stolen the purse, saw that she was carrying a wallet with five thousand colones and a bag of raisins. In addition, at the bottom was a small turquoise box about ten centimeters high with a bunch of pills and syrups. A few seconds later, thanks to Peter's good eye, Mario realized that the pearl necklace was a vile imitation.

-"Well, well, Mario, today doesn't seem to be your day," said Peter, mockingly.

Mario was very annoyed, but, ignoring him, he took the five thousand colones, and threw the rest of the things into a puddle. Looking at the lady's medicines covered in mud, he felt a little sorry for them and thought about picking them up and returning them to her, but he had made a pact with the other children the day they had started that gang because of the desire and need they all had to have money. He remembered it as clearly as if it had been yesterday. All right, David had said, the rules for joining our gang are as follows:

*Not to say anything about this to anyone.

*Every robbery that is done individually the reward is individual and every robbery that is done in a group the reward is group.

*The knives and razors are the responsibility of each one.

*And lastly, and most important of all: never, ever feel compassion for any victim, whoever does so will be expelled from the gang and will receive a beating by the members before leaving.

That had happened three years ago, they had all agreed to the rules and to seal the pact they had cut themselves on the leg with a piece of glass, deep enough to leave a scar. Who knows what ailment that old woman was suffering from and now she was not going to be able to get relief. But no, he was a member of the gang and pity was inadmissible.

-Now it's Peter's turn. Come on, Peter! -David encouraged him quietly.

A young woman of about twenty-seven years old was walking along, she seemed to have money because she was wearing a lot of jewelry; she was wearing a real pearl necklace, several bracelets, among them two gold bracelets, and she was carrying a purse whose price was around one hundred thousand colones.

-It's a good one," said Peter, his eyes shining in the darkness of the night.

The lady was getting closer and closer. At that moment the police sirens sounded.