Prologue

Of all the things Casey hated, running through wet mud was on the top of the list alongside wasps and tomato juice.

Unfortunately, the running surpassed the other two right now, especially because the running also involved dodging silver bullets almost hitting her rear.

The sticky wet dirt made the fur on her paws get tangly, but thinking about how disgusting it was wouldn't do her any good.

She picked up her pace, heavy steps crunching soggy branches under her paws and the heavy rain falling on her giant wolf body.

She was carrying a scooter in her mouth, protecting it with her life.

That scooter was something her grandfather had given her before he was hunted down by some old metas, and he had asked her to keep it safe.

Casey always thought that it was just some emotional attachment he had on the kid's locomotion tool, but it was enough reason for her to do as he asked her. After all, she also loved that scooter and rode it almost every day with her friends that were long gone to college, even customizing it by adding some things to it like a brake and better wheels.

A bullet grazed her left back paw, making her whimper, but she kept running.

She was being chased by a meta boy, a really annoying one, that is. He looked prepotent and his hair had way too much gel in it, making it look greasier than it already was.

He wasn't as fast as she was, but the wound from the bullet made her vision get hazy and she eventually felt her body get limp.

Her running had come to an end since she couldn't manage to get her body up.

I guess that's it, she thought when the boy came into view, but the final shot never came.

She heard three different heartbeats approaching her fast. Three wolves.

The hunter had also realized he'd soon have company since he started to back off and run away.

Soon enough, the three other werewolves got around Casey, forming a protection triangle around her.

They wouldn't chase the boy, not when there could be more hunters around. The woods they were in were already dark enough without the black clouds covering them, and it was too dangerous to track the possible threats without being able to sniff the air because of the rain.

"What are you guys doing here?" She asked through their pack link.

"It's our break from college. We said we were coming, didn't we?" Avery, the alpha, got closer to her fallen body.

After a few minutes, they managed to get up and go home, making a decision on the way there.

It was too dangerous now for Casey to be by herself since the hunters knew she was there.

A lone wolf was a dead wolf, and they all knew that.

Casey would soon join them in college, making it safer for everyone.

They talked a lot while helping the girl get her stuff ready. They told her about the amazing art lessons the college has, and also about their human friend that they protected as if she was a part of their pack.

From what Casey heard, she'd probably like the girl. Maybe they were even going to be mates?

The thought made Casey laugh by herself. In four hundred years she still hadn't found her mate, and it probably wouldn't happen any time soon.

The only thing she could agree with her friends is that it would be safer to be around them as a pack again and for that she couldn't wait.

As he ran away through the forest, the hunter boy had the opposite of a reason to laugh. He had failed a simple mission and didn't have much time to try again.

Find Wolfhardt and bring her back for interrogation. We need the information she has to please the grandwitch. He repeated the orders in his mind as if he could ever forget them, but the purple-eyed wolf he was seeking wouldn't be easy to hunt down, especially with a whole pack alongside her.