Ch. 9 - Aftermath

Last night after running from Casey, I walked home while trying to calm down.

I kept telling myself that everything was fine, but it most certainly wasn't. What if she did recognize me?

The first thing I did when I got home was taking a long shower to get the stench out of me and then make sure all my weapons were hidden.

I left the dorm for a couple of minutes to burn down the clothes I wore today, even if that was my favorite coat.

Dana was still sleeping on my bed, so I did what every reasonable person would do and went to sleep on Casey's bed.

It's not like she'd be back today anyway, and I deserved a good rest after killing two massive wolves.

-- -- -- --

"How did we didn't feel it?" I was woken by Mason's loud voice. "Is it some kind of new specimen? I just can't wrap my head around it."

"It could be. It smelt like hell and had red eyes," Casey said, her voice getting closer, so I decided to close my eyes and pretend to be asleep. "But it did kill two of the wolves who were giving me a hard time, and then it ran away when I tried approaching."

"Well, the new vampire is a possibility but what about the sleeping dart on that wolf's neck? Only hunters, especially metas, use that," Mason pointed.

Damn, I forgot about the dart.

"If there are metas around here, we should be able to feel them, so they're probably not close to us," Avery calmed them down. "Maybe the meta was hunting the vampire and they ended up in the forest? The lack of meta's scent could be because a wolf ate them."

The bedroom door opened, and the footsteps stopped midway.

After that, I heard soft steps going backward.

"Why is she sleeping in your bed?" Mason asked with a suggestive tone after the door was closed once again.

"Hey fuckers, how did it go?" Dana's voice erupted, making me shift a bit since she was practically yelling. "And where's Hunter?"

"She's in my room," Casey said, obviously annoyed. "Wait, weren't you supposed to watch over her?"

"To be honest, after I got here I think I just fell asleep real quick," Dana brushed it off.

Well, at least she wouldn't spill my secret. "You're all still alive, so it probably went fine, right? I think my job here is done. And Casey, I ate your yogurt this morning before I went back to sleep, just so you know."

After that, I heard the front door opening and then closing. Dana was out.

They were all silent for a couple of minutes, probably thinking or talking through pack-link or something, and then I heard more people leaving.

Soon enough, Casey was back in the room, not noticing my "pretend sleep" and then she went to her wardrobe to get a change of clothes.

I did my best not to stare when she was with her back turned in my direction and took her shirt off, but it was pretty hard to ignore those back muscles.

She probably felt my gaze since she suddenly turned around and I placed the blanket over my face to give her some privacy.

"You're up!" She said while putting on a new shirt. "Sorry about this."

"Well, I'm the one in your room without permission so..."

Again, we stared at each other for a couple of seconds, and I swear she was holding back not to make any comments on the situation.

I finally decided to get up so I could shower and get ready for the classes.

I certainly wouldn't want to be late.

-- -- -- --

The day went on as usual, but when I sat down on my dorm's couch I decided it was time to do something I should have already done.

I got my phone out and sent a text to the number the vampire had given me, asking if we could meet.

A few minutes later I got a reply with a localization attached to it.

Meet me there in an hour

I usually wouldn't meet strangers like this, but I didn't have too much of a choice.

I changed my clothes and told Casey I was going to see Dana before I left and got an Uber to the sent location.

It was time to get some answers.