Ch. 28 - War

After filling Haven up with all of the details, including the twins and the magic scooter, the vampire made sure that we knew that they'd do anything to help us fight against them and even try to contact some old vampire friends to help.

"Ok, so we have The Five on our side and Haven will try to get their friends," Avery said, thinking about a plan. "We're good as we are, but it would be nice to get more help."

"So we're aiming for a war here?" Troian said, and as much as the others just nodded, I knew why she was uneasy about it.

"I don't think we have much of a choice, especially now that we know they'll try to get the stone and they're draining witches to get their magic."

This just made me remember my talk with Haven a while ago about the grudge between werewolves and vampires that was silently happening even if it had been ages ago and also the one with hunters and other supernaturals.

Was the war really our only option?

It's obvious that some hunters enjoy doing this, but what about those who don't?

Hunters like Troian and I, who never had a different option but to do it?

"As much as I believe my sisters would be pleased to fight a war, I'd also like to reconsider it," Saria said, supporting Troian. "As it is unfair for hunters to kill innocent supernaturals, it is unfair for supernaturals to kill people that had no other choice but to be there. I think that we should give them the chance to choose."

"Really? You're saying that even those twins deserve a chance for it?" Avery spat in Troian's direction.

He was upset, and it was understandable. I didn't know what kind of things he had gone through, but it was a touchy subject.

"I'm saying that some people do." Her voice shifted to something I haven't heard in a while. The tone she used when she tried to defend me back when we were still kids.

The tone she only used once cause her father had beaten her up so badly for standing up for me that she couldn't move for two weeks.

The tone of the time she actually did something that she believed was right instead of just being a puppet.

"I don't think the twins or Jace regret any of what they've done, but some others do. There's more Troians and Hunters in the other families than you think, Avery," She continued. "And you can't come to me and act all innocent now because none of you are. None of us are."

We were silent for a moment before she finally finished.

"There's not a single person in this room that hasn't killed anyone. We did it because other people said that it was right, we did it to defend ourselves, or just because if we didn't do it we'd be treated so harshly we'd barely be able to walk the next day. But we still did it."

"Does it mean we're bad people? No. Can we change it and do things differently? Absolutely not. But you have to at least accept that if we fight this war now, things will never change. We may have an actual shot here on doing something."

Saria could only look at Troian like she was the most precious person in the entire world. She was certainly proud of her, and I was too. It isn't easy to change like she did, but she was completely different now in the best way possible.

"So what do you suggest?" Avery asked more calmly. He knew that she had a point and that he had to at least consider it.

"Well, the Soilés are a dead end for sure," she admitted. "But since they're the only metas left, they think they can boss the other hunters around. If we get Silas out of the top, I'm sure we'll get a better response from the others."