Ch. 32 - Momma bear

"You're holding up good so far, you know." I sat closer to Lucy after the others left us. "Troian never gets upset like that, so it was a challenge."

"You know, Hunter," she began, turning to me. "One of the things I always liked about you is that you can be either a sugar coater or as subtle as shooting someone with a bazooka. Just spare me the pep talk and tell me what I need to hear."

Well, if she's asking for it...

"You fucked up. Badly." I sighed. "What do you want to hear first? About how heartbroken she was? About her taking care of Isabel? About the twins and Jace changing after you were gone?"

Okay, maybe I could tone it down.

"Well, there's not much to talk about Isabel if not the fact that she was well cared for while Troian was there, and we already know she was hurt after you left, so what is missing is...

"Their behavior towards you was always upsetting, but they were never too aggressive, especially towards Troian. Do you think Liliana tried to kill her?" Lucy asked in disbelief.

I guess she was the only one on earth that wasn't aware of how monstrous the twins had become.

"I'm sorry to pop your bubble but those girls you called daughters are now anything but that. Lauren tried to chop me with an axe, and Liliana stabbed me. I'm willing to bet anything you want on the fact that they tried to kill Troian at least once."

Lucy nodded, knowing that I wouldn't lie to her.

It must have been a shock to hear since, even if they did some bad stuff while we were still pre-teens, they also helped her around sometimes and even played as actual children do.

No swords included.

"But, just so you know, I think you deserve to tell your side of the story."

My words made her lift her head back up, and I could tell she was considering it. After a while, she spoke up.

What was there to lose now anyway?

"I met Marina on a mission a year before I ran. I'm not going to tell the whole story, but it was pretty clear that we were mates." She took a deep breath and got up to pace around, "She was, is, a complete opposite of Silas, and as naive as it sounds, I fell for her. Silas and I were married off by our families. I never loved or agreed with him, but I do love my kids."

"I did my best to forget about her, to follow my life as it was supposed to be, but I couldn't. Especially after he started to get involved with different kinds of problems. He never told me anything about it, but I bet it has to do with some of the stuff your friend mentioned to us."

"Silas's a bitch, pass it on." I couldn't help but joke and chuckle to myself.

"Well, that was my final straw. I knew Marina would help me, and I planned on taking the kids with me, but Silas knew about my plans. About everything, except about her." Her voice got lower as sadness transpired through it. "He sent all of you to a different country without telling me with the excuse you'd be training, and Isabel was with me. That's when he threatened me. He said that as long as I didn't go after the kids, he'd let me go, and if I decided to fight, he'd kill Isabel. I didn't have a choice. I couldn't even choose to stay there cause he said it was too risky and I could alienate the children."

"Why was he being nice?" I said while remembering that time. He did send us to that creepy place for a couple of days, and after we got back, Lucy was gone.