Ch. 47 - Control

I saw red, jumping straight into Avery's wolf form, but thankfully, something stopped me.

Saria made a protection spell towards him, but it only meant that my target would switch.

I had no idea of what I was doing, only that I couldn't stop, and not even their protection spells would keep me away from their throats.

I lunged towards Mason, but Haven stopped me, and my first response was to try to rip their heart with my bare hand, only to have their body to be replaced by another barrier that repelled me.

"Do something!" I heard someone yell, but I couldn't put a name to their voice.

"There's nothing we can do. It was the only way." I didn't even need to recognize the voice to assume that it was Salem speaking this time. "She knew what had to be done and she knew the consequences."

"Like you gave her a choice!" This time I had no problem knowing that it was Casey talking. "How is she even here in the first place if not because you did something!"

Stop, I tried reasoning with myself, but I was somehow long gone, and this time I went to one of the witches, but since I couldn't move I was likely under some kind of immobilization spell.

I could barely distinguish who was who at that point, not sure if it was because I was moving too fast or because my vision was blurry and inconsistent.

"I knew there was a chance of failure and we needed a backup plan," Salem continued. "None of you would have agreed to this and it would only make humanity suffer."

"And do I look like I care about humanity?" Casey yelled at her. "You always know everything so there has to be a way to put this to a stop!"

As I forced my body to move around, I finally freed myself from the spell and bolted to get to someone else, and this time I wasn't repelled.

I wasn't fighting with all of my strength - at least that was something I could still try to interfere on -, and whoever I was up against was putting up a fight but didn't want to hurt me.

I recognized a few of the patterns as it being Troian, and when someone else approached me I knew it was Jace.

They could barely block my punches, and it didn't take long for them to wear out and someone else join us.

I felt waves of shock going through my body, lightning spells, but even if my body was numb, I could still move. The next feeling was flames burning my skin, but I recovered instantly from them and got back to the fight.

From far away, I could hear pained sighs, probably coming from Renna. After I stabbed her, she was as good as gone. Salem and the others could take over from there.

I pounced into a wolf, and its blue eyes made me somehow recognize that it was Alice.

She didn't want to hurt me, but I couldn't say the same as I got ahold of one of her front paws and crushed it, getting ready to bite her.

She whimpered as a spell got her away from me, and I could hear voices again.

"Hunter, it's just us!" I could listen to Mason's soft tone as he approached me, only for me to try and reach out for him.

I managed to stop myself before I could do that, but I was soon attacking again. The reason he managed to get out of my grip was probably my lack of an arm, but it didn't make it any easier.

"There is no Hunter, boy," Salem spoke again, and her voice was starting to get into my nerves. "Your friend's mind is long gone, and you keeping this up for more than needed will only bring you all pain."

Don't you want to make her stop? A voice that sounded like mine got through my head.

"So you want us to kill her?!"

"Her body only. As I said, she's already dead."

I'm not sure why but listening to her words was making me feel bad. Of course that I had no control, but I'm still here somewhere. That witch deserves a lesson.

For the first time, the thing that took over me and I could agree over something as I went full speed towards the witch, without holding back this time, and maybe it wasn't the best choice.

She blocked the first and second blow but went flying away when I kicked her.

I prepared to jump again but felt plants and vines hold my body like chains, and I didn't bother to muffle a scream when thorns started to come out of them and carve deep into my leg muscles.

What is going on? I thought, confused.

I felt the vines rising up to my body until they reached my shoulders and started to pull me to the ground. As one of them snaked close to my chest and neck, I knew it wouldn't take long until I was dead, but it somehow didn't happen.

The ones that were close to my vital points were ripped off of my body by a purple-eyed girl.

What was her name again? I feel like I know her.

My eyes traveled from hers to her throat. Her pulse was quick, and her blood was pumping so strongly that I could see the vein on her neck move.

I lunged in her direction, only to be stopped by some vines that I had no idea where had come from.

I didn't know what was happening, only that there were supernaturals here and that I needed to drink something. My throat felt dry and sore, and I wouldn't last long like this.

"She is not there anymore, child." An annoying voice from a woman reached my ears.

"Hunter." The purple-eyed girl ignored the woman. "I know you're still there. Please, I need you to come back."

Hunter? What is she talking about?

I forced myself forward, only to have the thorns on the vines sink deeper into my body. I looked around, trying to find a way out. Why don't I have one arm?

The girl was close to me, close enough for me to bite her, and that was what I was going to do.

My mind got foggy as I lifted myself, not caring about the thorns that were ripping my skin apart and painting me with red lines. I could already taste it somehow, and as I was about to bite, I felt a wave of sadness plunging over me, making me hesitate.

Her eyes were glassy as if she was in pain herself, but she seemed to be fine. A few dried tears and some new ones were crossing her face, and all I wanted for that single moment was to ask her why - to make her recover from whatever happened.

But it didn't matter. It didn't stop me.

My fangs grazed her skin, and then something clicked, and I was magically pushed from her and the vines holding me.

I screamed in pain as the thorns were ripped from my body, and I went flying towards a really hurt woman that seemed to be more human than supernatural.

I got in touch with her hands, and a somehow familiar sensation got through my body.

My surroundings started to fade, and I got pulled into something.

Something like a rabbit hole.