Ch. 8 - The forest

"Dana, what are you doing here?" I asked, trying to hide my body from her sight, but it was too late.

"Your roommate asked me to check on you, see if you were eating well and stuff," she lied. "What are you wearing?"

"This old thing?" I scoffed. "I'm just trying...huh...Halloween costumes?"

"We're not even close to Hallow-"

"Oh, look!" I interrupted her and pointed to the opposite side of the room, making her spin her head immediately.

I quickly ran over to her and, before she could react, I got my special bomb out and threw it close to her.

Not three seconds later she was already falling.

Sorry, I thought as I lifted her from the floor and placed her on my bed. She likely wouldn't remember any of it, so I should be fine.

Without wasting any more time, I got out of the dorm and headed to the exit.

-- -- -- --

After a really weird Uber drive, answering questions about the dress-up party I pretended to be going to the driver, he dropped me close to the forest and I sprinted towards it.

I had ten minutes until the moon was all out, so I should try to position myself the best I could.

I got deeper into the forest and found the perfect tree to climb. It wasn't the tallest one around, probably 14ft, but it would give me a plain sight advantage if any enemies appeared.

As the moon got into position, I heard several howls from opposite sides of the forest, and I was basically in the middle of them.

My friends were probably on one side while that other pack was on the opposite one. It was like a battlefield, and I now had no doubt that they knew some kind of war would happen.

After a couple of minutes, I could hear loud footsteps - or paw steps? - coming in my direction, and then the gigantic wolves appeared.

Not my friends, that's for sure.

There were six of them. Four seemed to have the same power level as Alice, but the other two radiated raw power.

I wasn't one to downgrade my friends' abilities, but they wouldn't be able to win this fight if they went head-on in it, and that was probably why they were still hiding in their side of the forest.

The wolves passed quickly, probably trying to avoid the awful smell coming from me because of the perfume, and after a couple of minutes, I got out of the tree to go in the same direction they were heading.

I walked as fast as I could, making sure not to make any noise. After years of practice, it wasn't so hard to spot dry branches and leaves and avoid stepping on them, but today it seemed to be easier than usual. My vision seemed to be clearer even if the forest was only illuminated by the moon.

And then I heard thunder.

Soon enough, a light but steady rain started to pour, and I picked up my pace. The droplets of water would cover up most of my noise.

I tracked their giant footsteps marked on the mud and noticed that they eventually got more irregular. They were running, and now so was I.

As I got deeper into the forest, I could see broken branches and I also passed by a broken tree, and that's when I stopped on my tracks.

I took a good look at my surroundings, only to find this kind of hole on the ground that appeared to be a giant trap.

At the bottom of it, a wounded wolf, one of the six from before. He was probably too hurt to shift back to human and the others decided to leave him here.