Ch. 45 - Freeze

I looked around in panic. Nowhere to go or hide, an axe over my neck and Liliana approaching us.

My thoughts were drowned by the pain and numbness from the places that had gotten sliced. My breath was dragged because the poison on my throat seemed to be sinking in, the blood loss was already getting to me, and I felt more stupid than ever.

My comfort was that the others were safe and all they had to do was defeat Renna, and I knew they didn't need me for it.

I felt it calling for me. The final blow didn't come right away as I expected, but every punch or bruise the twins were giving to me now was just insignificant. I was numb, eyes closed, and my mind in peace.

Or that's what I'd like to think.

This was a mistake and I knew it. I knew that the others were safe but also that they wouldn't be happy after this. But they'd recover.

Wouldn't they?

What's the point of those thoughts anyway? I can't even move. If not from the wounds, it would be from the shock. I guess it just proves my point that I suck even more.

Did I grow softer by being a year away from Silas? Wouldn't something like this be just a walk in the park?

Lauren dropped me, and I got back to reality, looking up at their faces that were smiling at me, lifting their sword and axes to rip my limbs one by one until I died from the lack of blood instead of being beheaded.

But it also didn't happen.

Both of them went flying away after being hit by a metal bar.

I wasn't hearing anything else at this point, but I could tell that the purple eyes locked into mine could only belong to one person, even if they were as smudged as looking at the moon without proper glasses.

I couldn't even comprehend if she was talking or not, but I did what I could to look in the direction my arm was, and she seemed to understand it.

The twins didn't come back in time, and I could tell Casey had gotten a grip on the portal key, and then everything went black.

Hopefully because of the rabbit hole thing, and not because I had died.

-- -- -- --

Next time I wake up with everything hurting and it's because of a beating, I'm quitting life.

A strong light coming from somewhere made me put my hands over my eyes to cover it.

More like "hand", without the s.

I could now move my left hand, the one that was numb before, and the cut seemed to be healed, but there was a nasty scar in its place, black and bruised.

My right arm though...

I knew I couldn't do the same thing Lauren could.

There was a bandage rolled over the middle of my forearm where my arm used to be, and I've never been more thankful than now for the fact that I'm ambidextrous.

I shifted around, feeling the bed beneath me give comfort to my body that, even if recovered, still ached from all the fighting and exhaustion. My eyes traveled to the big painting of me on the wall, and then went straight to the door when it opened.

"Hey, are you okay?" Casey asked, concerned.

"I'm good," I mumbled, and she interrupted me before I could ask her the same thing.