Ch. 44 - Fight or...

I turned around and ran directly into the twins' direction, my arms laying back on my sides, holding my weapons. They looked even more dead than the last time.

Before I got to Liliana, she managed to shoot me three times, but I barely felt the bullets. I wasn't in control of my own body anymore. It was like I was watching everything unravel from inside my mind as if my eyes were just windows for the outside.

I swung my scythe in one quick movement, ripping the gun off of her hand along with a couple of fingers, but she, of course, didn't mind. There wasn't even any blood coming out this time, different from our last encounter.

Before she could recover, I spun my body and sliced her torso with both the sword and the scythe.

Lauren got closer and kicked me, and I flew away like a ping-pong ball that was hit too hard.

I passed through a whole building, one side to the other through the walls, and when I was on the other side I saw a construction site close by.

I stopped my movement by craving the scythe in the ground and made my way to the construction site. There was a lot of dirt, scraped and pointy beams, huge metal bars, bricks, rubble...

I took a deep breath to calm my heart, and then I saw them.

Lauren had tomahawks that were way bigger than they should be in both hands and she was approaching fast, but carelessly. I deflected the first blow - producing a loud clang - and stepped back when the axe almost sliced my stomach but didn't expect the backhanded attack she had prepared.

The backside of the tomahawk scraped a line from below my chin to my nose and, for an inch, she didn't rip my jaw off.

The wound healed, but it was a slow process, and the scrape was burning up, making me gasp with the slight pain.

She's poisoning you, I thought, trying to send a message to whoever was in control of my body right now.

When Liliana rushed to me with a sword, I managed to block her and use the crook of my scythe to disarm her and pull her closer to me, stabbing her directly in her heart but getting no response for it whatsoever.

I started moving towards the big construction beams while deflecting their blows, which was working most of the time. I did a more abrupt move so they'd see that the stone was in the inside lower pocket of the coat I was wearing, and I guess they got the message.

Lauren was still trying to rip my head, but Liliana got a dagger and was now trying to get slices in the lower part of my body, closer to the pocket.

After a direct attack from Lauren's tomahawk, I dodged and locked her forearm by carving my scythe in it. Checking if we were in position, I pushed her hard in the direction of one of the pointy beams, strong enough for her to be spiked in it like a skewered meat and unable to move. All I got from her was a weird hiss, not even a proper pain reaction.

I pretended to dodge Liliana again before going towards Lauren and ripped both her arms out. If everything worked out, my lower pocket with the decoy is probably with Liliana by now and I should be good to go.

The mission is completed. Get out of here.

I looked back a bit, and I was right. My eyes went to Liliana, who had the stone and placed it into her pocket, but now she was just standing there looking straight into my eyes while Lauren's grunts made our background noise.

Hell, I can't just run away. I can't give up like this if the stone's worth it.

I let out a breath before rushing towards Liliana again. I knew that the blood's effect wouldn't last much longer, so my only excuse for being able to leave without them thinking I just gave up would be if I almost died for it.