Interlude - Hunting Hunter

After a month from what happened in Disneyland, things seemed to be somehow better.

At the moment Renna and Hunter disappeared, the others bombarded Salem with questions. If she was the one who did that and what had happened, but the grandwitch hadn't done anything. Renna was the one to pull Hunter and teleport.

There was nothing they could do, apart from an improvised funeral without a body since the girl seemed to be now long gone.

As for other matters, things were getting into their places.

Marina, the major alpha, Lucius, The Five, and Troian, talked a lot about terms and ways of keeping everyone from all species - hunters included - safe.

They were able to agree on keeping peace and everyone, or almost, seemed pleased with that. Nothing could be perfect, but since the majority had liked the idea, it would be much easier to live good lives now.

Haven mourned the loss of their niece, but they were a vampire, an old one. It hurt, but they knew that her parents would be proud of the decision she made.

Troian suffered a lot, but she didn't cry. It wasn't like her to do so and having her mother, Isabel, and even Jace there helped. They were doing better, with awkward interactions between them, but were overall happier with the possibility of having their own life choices and a new chance for a family.

Saria was upset, to say the least, not only because of the sacrifice Hunter had to make but because of the reason she had to go through it. A few days were needed until she could talk to her sisters again, but there was nothing she could do about it now.

They all tried, but they couldn't find even the slightest trace of magic on Hunter, and even if they did, it could be a trap. Maybe Renna managed to stay alive, and they couldn't risk anything that they weren't sure about.

The wolves took it the worst.

Avery took some of the blame to himself, for not being a good alpha or friend, but there was nothing he could have done, nor any of the others. He relied on his mate, and Mason did the same. Alice was there with them but started to spend more time with Sinna so she could take her mind off things.

They all cried, shared stories, and even seemed to be getting better, but not Casey.

Everyone tried to cheer her up, but how could she feel better?

Legends and myths - and the evidence from stories -, say that when you lose a mate it feels like your other half is being ripped from you, but she didn't feel that.

It wasn't because they weren't mates or because they haven't known each other for long, but because Hunter was still alive, and Casey was the only one who could feel it. She told the others before, but they all just tried to brush it off, to blame it on the denial. They knew it was worse for her and just wanted to help her feel better.

But how could she feel better when Hunter was still alive and alone in some random dimension and there was nothing she could do about it since no one believed her?

As much as she hated admitting it, Casey wished more than once that maybe, just maybe, Hunter would die so she could feel at least a slight of closure. Maybe like that she'd be able to move on, but she couldn't.

Deep down, she didn't want to.

And to think that her last memories were of the girl trying to kill her...

But she'd figure something out. She was working on it.

And then there was Salem, the witch that played them all into that. They should have tried the scooter from the beginning, and then maybe they'd all be safe, but she didn't care. It was best to lose a single person than to risk losing more.

For Salem, Hunter was collateral damage, and that's all.

She played the "upset" part next to the other witches from her coven but deep down, she was actually happy. They were safe now, and the hybrid was gone. As much as Hunter seemed like a good girl and that she even helped her to be born, she wasn't like other hybrids she had seen before.

When she told the others back then that Hunter was gone, she still could feel a trace of humanity on her. After that, she finally felt the girl fading into herself, but any other vampire would have lost it immediately after drinking blood that strong.

She was powerful, and it somehow scared the grandwitch. It was better if she had an honorable ending than if somehow, someone saw what the girl was, how powerful she could get, and captured her for their benefit.

Things seemed to be setting on the way they should be, but what Salem didn't know was that it was far from over.

Casey's plan involved Dana and Kyle. Different from the others, Dana knew she was onto something since the werewolf would never ask for her help unless she didn't have a really good reason to do so, so for the last few days, they'd get together and try to find at least a vestige of magic.

Sometimes Hansel and Gretel would join them, but the witches were now being taught by Serena and didn't have much time to spare.

Each day they found nothing made Casey more frustrated, but she swore that some days she'd feel Hunter hovering closer to her, so she refused to stop trying.

And then, on that night, their attempt resulted in something different.

"I think I found something," Kyle said, getting the attention of his mate and Casey. "It's small and distant, but it's there. It reminds me a bit of Samantha's magic, but there's no way it's her."

"Can you take me there?" The werewolf said, eyes already sparkling with the smallest chance that it could be Hunter.

"I can, but you only have so much time until you have to come back," he warned. "Or else you'll be trapped there. Here's the key you'll need."

Casey nodded and took it, not even thinking about how dangerous it could be to go to an unknown dimension, but it was worth it. It was her first lead in a month, and she wasn't letting it go to waste.

She took a deep breath as Kyle cast a spell to teleport her to the dimension, and after the feeling of going through a rabbit hole ended, she found herself in an empty place.

A place with nothing but clouds.