Ch. 25 - Fission

Voidness. That was all there was for a split second before a blinding blue light filled my eyes. It was warm.

Warm enough to make me sweat even if I was standing still, but it didn't burn. If I could even think about anything right now, it would probably be that it was actually really comforting in a dangerous way.

And that's when I realized that the actual spell was being performed in the middle of the room. Everything seemed to get slower and I started to take everything in.

As the light got dimmer, I could understand the shapes that appeared in front of me again.

There was some kind of energy beam coming from Dana's hands. You could probably taste the magic in the air if you opened your mouth just a tiny bit.

And then you'd choke in it.

It was too much.

The before comforting warmth shaped into something more painful, but then it stopped. Not because the spell had been broken, but because Saria was casting some kind of protection to shield me, Troian, and herself from it. I guess of all things witches didn't have, the instant healing abilities were one of them.

My eyes roamed around the room and I saw Kyle get himself and Romeo, the crow, the same kind of barrier.

The other werewolves were wincing in pain, and then I noticed their skins burning but instantly healing in an infinite cycle.

The furniture and curtains seemed to be melting and bursting, and when the chandelier exploded, I could finally look down to Casey.

Except that I couldn't.

Not because it would be too painful to see what a direct hit from that thing could do, but because I literally couldn't see her.

She was being drowned by light, like a place on the floor with too many spotlights on it.

I couldn't hear anything, just some kind of insistent buzzing that got stronger and stronger, and when my eyes turned back to Dana I could tell she was trying to break it.

You couldn't just break something like this though. During my studies as a meta, there were stories of witches who took out their magic from a spell too quickly and it ended up in some kind of explosion that would be leveled to the original spell.

Meaning? If she broke this thing out of the blue, it would probably feel like an atomic bomb.

Saria was trying to get some of the magic out of it while also keeping up our shield spell, but it was tricky even for her, and for some reason, she seemed to be with a lower aura than usual.

The slowest ten seconds of my life passed and then the light finally started to die down.

I didn't want to see how destroyed Casey was, but I knew that worst-case scenario I'd give her my blood. If she still had a mouth, that is.

When we could see her body again without the spotlights, the room - that was already dead silent - got even quieter.

She was completely fine.

And so was the scooter that she held in front of her body as a shield.

As we stood there, Casey slowly opened her eyes, probably expecting the worst, and the incredulous look she had was enough to show that she had no clue of what had happened.

"First of all," Avery cleared his throat and looked at Dana. "What in the world was that?"

"Small scale nuclear fission?" She said as if it was no big deal.

"Goddess, and how do you even... Argh," the alpha continued, waving his hands around as if not finding the right words.

"Just because magic is, well, magic, doesn't mean it doesn't involve science," Dana explained and then changed topics. "Anyways, who was the one who cast the protection on the scooter? Saria?"

"Not me, that's for sure." The old witch stepped closer to Casey, who was still in shock, and took the scooter from her. "Also, I don't think a protection spell could hold a hit like that and don't suffer at least a single scratch."

"Then what in the world happened?" Mason asked, and as he did, a cracking sound began.

It was almost inaudible, but we all heard it and got quiet again, trying to find out where it was coming from.

Just as we stood there, the room started to shake, similar to the time Saria and Troian had teleported to our dorm.

Soon enough, a green light blinded us for a second and a powerful aura joined us. It was probably Sinna, one of Saria's sisters.

She looked just like the other witch, but her eyes seemed to be covered by some kind of special sunglasses.

"Sasaaaaaa, your favorite sister is here!" The witch sang in a playful tone.

She had appeared in the middle of the living room, a bit close to where Casey and Saria were and turned her head a bit until she could see her sister.

"Ah, there you are!" The witch hugged her, letting go after a moment to take a look at the room. "Why does it look like the Third World War just passed through?"

"It's a long stor-" Saria began to explain but was stopped by her sister's fingers on her lips as if shushing her.

"Why does it smell like..." She sniffed the air multiple times. "Holy Thumrose! Can't you smell it?!"

"Sister, please, behave like a witch and not a dog." Saria pinched her nose, clearly annoyed, but soon enough her expression changed.

"Shush, just take a good sniff."

Saria looked pained, but eventually did as her sister had told her, and so did the other werewolves.

"I don't smell anything," Alice said and the others agreed.

"That's because your kind isn't supposed to," Saria explained. "Sinna, where is it coming from?"

Sinna kept sniffing the air as her head fell to the scooter's height.

We all started to get closer to her and we were finally able to see a tiny crack on the scooter's deck.

"Yup, definitely from it." She took the scooter from Saria's hands and her lips grew in a smirk. "I can't believe I've been looking for it only to find it when I visit you. Now let's crack it!"

Before she could do anything, Casey snatched it from her.

"Sorry to pop your bubble, but my scooter has suffered enough," she said defensively. "I still have no idea of who you are, but since you have a giant wasp as a familiar, I assume you're not someone to be around with."

"Come on, Wynonna is harmless!" Sinna gasped, seeming offended. "And for your concern, there's a deep, strong magic coming from your thingy right there."

"That makes no sense!" Casey's voice got higher. "I've had it for ages, and my grandfather, also a werewolf obviously, was the one who built it."

"Is your grandfather perhaps... Andurin Wolfhardt?"

"So what if he is." She clung to the scooter, pouting like a kid and making me want to pinch her cheeks.

Not the time, Hunter.

"Oh, boy." Sinna let out a breath and Saria seemed to do the same. "I guess it's storytime."