Ch. 37 - Dimension

"Jace, why did the trinket disappear?" I asked, unable to believe that we were now stuck into an alternate dimension.

"I don't know," he said, sitting up. "I wasn't even sure of what that thing did. I assumed that it was some portal opener and not... whatever it was."

Great. Why did I think Jace, of all people, knew what he was doing?

"Okay, first of all, hand me your coat," I said while sticking my hand out. "A couple more minutes and my shirt is going to finish falling apart."

He did what I asked, and we both got to our feet. At least the others were safe for now, but if Silas was dead, all of the extra time we could have was nonexistent. The twins wouldn't wait weeks for planning. As far as I know, they're probably after the others right now.

"And what now?" He asked. "Are you going to kill me for everything?"

"I don't trust you, Jace, but the both of us have a better chance of getting out of here if we work together than if we're by ourselves."

He nodded, knowing I was right. As far as we know, we were in a dimension with no way out unless he secretly could open up portals, and I doubt he can do that.

I wanted to think more about what the hunters said. About the grandwitch and all of that, but I didn't have the time for it.

According to all information I had the grandwitch could be Salem, but the others would deal with it.

I looked around, unable to find anything but flowers and grass, but we couldn't just wait there, so I decided on a direction and started walking, followed by Jace.

"When I said I was sorry, I really meant it," he spoke, breaking our silence. "And that whole battle thing wasn't supposed to happen. It was only me, the group who entered the forest, and an extra group."

"The twins were following you, you should know better by now," I said, annoyed. "And so should I."

It was warmer than in our "usual" dimension and his coat wasn't helping me much, so I ripped the sleeves off for Jace's despair. The sweat under my temples was running down on my face and getting mixed with the leftover droplets of blood on it.

It was absolutely disgusting.

"And as I said, I don't trust you."

"I don't trust you either, Hunter, but I asked you to help me and to save my life and you did it." His voice was low, tired. For a moment, I almost forgot that he just found out that his father was dead and his sisters tried killing him.

We were silent for a few more minutes, and he spoke again.

"I wanted things to be better. Normal. I understand if you don't know what I mean."

He better be joking right now.

"Really? Of all people, you don't think that I know what wanting normal means?"

"That was stupid of me," he admitted. "Sorry. Again."

It was weird seeing Jace like this, not being haughty or sarcastic. It almost made me feel bad for all that happened, but saying sorry wouldn't make everything change.

He never really beat me like the twins, but that didn't mean he wouldn't do other things to remind me of how terrible I was just for being born from a vampire.

We went the rest of our way in silence and still couldn't find anything. We passed through another flower-filled ground and then through a forest with trees bearing fruits that we could take with us.

After finding a lake with clean water so we could drink and then wash our faces, the fake "sun" - or whatever it was - began to fade, and only then I realized we've been wandering for hours now.

Hours without any clue of how to go back.

I wanted to deny it, but I was starting to get worried. Were we even able to get out of here without a witch to open a portal?

Jace and I reached a point where our bodies couldn't go on, and we had to stop and rest. We made an improvised shelter with branches and leaves and went to sleep, not sure of what we were going to do now.

After waking up the next day, I did something I should have done before.

"Where did you find that trinket?"

"It was with some other stuff the grandwitch had sent to us. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be there or if she sent it by mistake," Jace said, not paying much attention.

Maybe if I asked the grandwitch's name he'd answer me.

"What's her name? The witch?"

"She never told us," He said, getting up.

Yup, this was a dead end.

No names, clues, leads, or whatever that could help us get out.

We walked for a while, and I even tried to concentrate to check if I could feel anyone's blood here apart from ours, but there was no one around.

It was just Jace and me alone in a giant dimension that seemed to have no end to it.

We walked until it started to get dark and went to sleep, and then repeated it for the next four days, passing by forests and rivers on our way.

All I wanted to do was give up and lay down, and I could tell Jace wanted to do the same. The only times we spoke were if we really needed to, and our awkward silence was less awkward than our small talk at that point.

Jace was kind enough to give me some of his blood now and then cause, his words, "it's better if you can stand and fight if we have to face something, this is not because I care about you."

Such a gentleman.

The major problem is that today wasn't like the other ones. Why?

Because there was a goddamn second sun in the sky, and for the first time in the last few days we didn't even pass through a forest or something that could shelter us from the light. It was all plains.

We couldn't go back since it would take a whole day, and it felt like we were in a stupid desert.

And, if it truly was a desert and the climate was changing, when the suns disappeared it would get cold. Too cold.

My whole body was weak from only having a bit of blood and fruits as a meal, and my headache, which has been building up for two days now, was worse than ever.

The dizziness didn't help at all, but Jace was worse than I was. He insisted that I drank at least a bit of his blood in case I needed to get us out of trouble and he had passed, which was probably going to happen soon.

Our walking was no longer in a line, it was more like stumbling and trying not to fall.

And then he did.

I heard a thump and looked in Jace's direction. He was laying down on the ground shirtless, but it didn't help with the heat.

I wanted to leave him there, but I couldn't. It took all that I had in me to lift him and keep walking. If he was going to die, it would be in a fair battle like we all deserved.

I walked for what felt like hours, and then I swear I saw something. People.

I didn't get my hopes up since it was probably a vision from the heat, but at that point, if those weren't people, we'd all be dead.

I wasn't in better shape than Jace, and it was pretty clear after I fell and the both of us were on the ground.

I just hope I don't die yet.