36 - Selfish me

Days rolled into weeks, weeks into months.

I smiled and stared at my beautiful self in the mirror. Sometimes I wonder why I was this blessed by God.

I was happy, doing the things that I loved to do with someone I loved to be with.

I had the best family, friends. Even though Charlie betrayed me I still loved him.

I decided not to mention anything about that night hoping that he would tell me.

"Lilly keep your face well." Tessa groaned as she fixed my makeup.
She looked disgusted and irritated at me.

I just glared at her. "But I told you I was fine without makeup, you were the one who insisted I do it."

"Na me look for trouble. I've been trying to apply lipstick but your mind is not even here. You're just there smiling like some lovesick teenager." She yelled with a hiss and threw the lipstick on the make up table.

What the hell is going on?

This is more than make up.

"Tessa did I do something wrong? What's the matter with you?" I pleaded, standing to my feet.

"No, Lilly the problem is that you did everything right. You have everything right. You have the money, the cars, the love from family, a hot handsome guy who's never cheated on you."

She broke down and started sobbing.

"Tessa I am so sorry."

"Why?" She snapped at me. "Enjoy yourself, you and your loyal boyfriend." Then she buried her face in her hands and continued sobbing.

I just shook my head on confusion. "Deji cheated on you?"

She looked up at me and the look on her face said it all.

"I'm so sorry." I went on all fours to reach to her level because she was on the floor and then I was higher than her.

"I just can't find the right man. It's like a curse you know."

What!

"Hey, look at me." I demanded and she looked straight into my eyes.

"You'll find the right man. I'm sure." I squeezed her hand and a dry laugh escaped her lips.

One that denoted sarcasm.

"But how come all this happened and I didn't know?"

"It was last week actually. And you were too busy with Lemuel for me to tell you."

"Oh!" I managed to say knowing that I'm guilty.

When my friend needed me the most I was having the best fun of life.

How selfish could I get?

I'm supposed to be there for her.

"I'm..."

She shot me a quizzical look. "Sorry." And then a smile danced at the corner of her lips.

"How did you?" I was puzzled.

"You say that all the time." She waved it off like it was nothing and chuckled.

I hissed.

Just then my phone rang. It was Nancy.

I picked the call and placed it on speaker.

"Hello babe, how far?"

"I'm fine. Ah ah, your voice has changed."