71 - Picking A Dress

I combed the strands of my hair that fell to my face, neatly. I then braided my hair into two pigtails. Once I sprayed my perfume, I took a look at myself. I nodded at my look, I was good to go.

I was really happy that I was going out of this house today. We had dress picking to do, and I find it really funny.

My feet fit into the new palm that Lemuel had just got in nicely. I grabbed my purse from the dressing table and stormed out of the room.

My feet ran as fast as they could, into the shop even though they were swollen. You know, this pregnancy is really something. It was taking a toll on me. I had really added too much weight, asides that; I couldn't wait for all these symptoms to be over.

I wore a smile on my face once I sighted Chisom and I slightly took of the glasses, once I approached.

She smiled. "Hey big mama!" She squealed, hugging me tight.

I kind of didn't like that name. It made me feel big and fat. I knew I was but that only made it more obvious and painful.

"How are you doing?" She kissed my cheeks softly.

"I'm good. What about mom?"

She shrugged, scrunching up of her face. "She is supposed to be here by now."

I sighed and turned to take a seat when someone screamed my name from behind. I swear that all eyes turned to us. I gave a genuine smile and turned to face Lemuel's mom.

"Mommy." I squealed, choking up in the hug mainly because of her perfume.

She released me when she noticed my discomfort. "How are you doing?"

"Am good. The baby's fine." I added when I saw her eyes darting to my tommy.

Then she gave a nod and smiled. "Lisa is already waiting for us, lets go. Anna will join us soon." Mom said and started walking to another area of the complex mall.

I and Chisom just followed after her.

"I thought you were going to make your dress yourself?" That was more like a question.

"Well." She heaved a sigh. "I ... don't really think I will make something good. Besides I love Lisa and I'm sure she will have something I like."

"Oh, okay."

Then we were ushered into an office by a receptionist. Another fashion world on its own would be the name for this place. It was large. Painted white with a huge glass that showed the outside world. Ecstatic designs, I mean super gorgeous that made me lose my breath. I kept looking around in awe, gaping.

"Ladies."

I spun around. That was the smoothest voice I had heard in my lifetime. My two pigtails swayed as I turned. I almost drooled.

Simplicity was perfection.

Lisa Maduka was dressed in a black lace dress that was ebbroided with pink and orange floral designs. She wore light make up and her hair was packed up, messily but neatly.

I'm in love.

"Good morning. Shall we?" She led the way into another room.

I still continued gaping following Lisa behind mum, while Chisom trailed behind me admiring the display of her glamorous works.

We were all entertained with small chops and expensive champagne. That was when Anna joined us.

Then we went to picking a dress. We were on the tenth dress yet we couldn't find anything for Chisom.

She was very picky and precise about what she wanted. These dresses were more than beautiful. Designed by one of the best dress makers in the world, she was known for her gorgeous works.

Lisa was getting confused and she decided that a break was best for everyone.

I was starting to get bored and tired of the whole situation so and Chisom went outside to get some air.

"What's wrong? You said you love Lisa." I creased my brow, pinching the bridge of my nose because this whole process is tiring.

"I do."

"Sooo?" I gesticulated.

"Lilly this is my wedding. This past two months have been really stressful and the only crown is my dress. All decisions I've made for my wedding I did for my family. At least, let med wear a dress that makes me feel like me. It will make up for everything."

I rubbed her hand. "I know right. The bride is supposed to call the shots but you know Nigerian parents, it's 'their wedding'." I made an air quote of the last two words.

"Yeah. I'm gonna be married only once and the most of my happiness comes from my dress. It makes me feel fulfilled, I can't just wear any kind of dress when it doesn't suit me, just because of my status."

I shut my eyes and opened it up immediately.

"Then let's make your dress."

She smiled.

I held her by the wrist and pushed through the glass door back into the room where we were.

"Mom..." Chisom started but couldn't finish off.

"Chisom I have something to show you. Come with me." Lisa said and started to walk down the hallway, her heels clicking.

We all followed, anxious and nervous to see what work of art Lisa was about to unleash.

We got to a smaller room that had glass all over and a small curtain that covered what I assumed was a dress.

Lisa signalled to her staff and they pulled down the curtain. Then the light came off.

Chisom gasped.

I travelled to space thrice before coming back. Mom was too shocked to say a word. Anna was still in denial.

I bet we all hadn't seen this much glamour our entire lives.

"No." Chisom gasped loudly. "How is this possible, how?" She paced from one corner of the room to another, racking her brain in confusion. She ran her hand roughly through her hair and the other hand stormed her waist.

"This is not possible."She pulled her hair up, stretching it with her hands.

"How? How? I designed this dress." Then she moved closer to the dress.

Okay.

That's the reason for all this drama.

"Yes. Your fiance asked me to make this for you." Lisa replied, keeping calm.

"How?" Chisom gasped, covering her hands with her mouth.

"He said that you've always wanted to wear this dress since you were nineteen but you believed you could never make it. But he asked me to give this suprise to you."

Chisom let a tear fall. "Oh my God!" She made a placing her two hands on her face.

This is so romantic.

He got her the dress that would make her feel happy.

I was starting to feel like I should get married, but I didn't know what dress to choose.