Chapter Fourty Nine: Big News & Next Step

Chapter 49: Big News and Next Step

Papa nodded and looked at me.
"So...we've been something about it since you left. We're happy that you've been fine with your family but without you this house feels empty. And your mother and I always spend so much time in office that we're afraid Alex feels lonely. That and for some other reason, we've decided to adopt a child. Alex said she's fine with it. So we thought if you too-"

I gasped. "You're adopting a child?!"

"Well, we've been contacting some orphanages and one of them responded to us. It's an international organization and they said they're interested in adopting a child. But there's a problem. It's not one child but two. They're twins and around six, from Belarus. Their parents died from car accidents and no family came to claim them. Your mother and I thought we would like to adopt them. Well if you have no problem."

I blinked. "Why would I have any problem with it? In fact I was also thinking Alex was very lonely now. But- wait," I said. "Is it about you wanting me to remove my things from my room?"

"No, no!" Mamma said. "We wouldn't want that, they would share the guest bed. We thought-" she looked at papa than me. "We don't want you to think we're replacing you. It's just a thing we've been thinking for a while."

"I know you won't replace me. I'm too much to be replaceable," I said. They both started to laugh. "But I think you guys should move my things."

"As your mother already said, they would share a room."

"They might share a room now but it won't be long before they need separate rooms. And moreover, I'm not telling you to throw them away. I'll take a few more things I need with me. At rest other things, you can keep them like this or in a storeroom or in closer, I won't mind at all."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded. "Even If I didn't leave for Seattle, I would've moved out for college in a few years. It just happened to come sooner than expected right?" I continued. "If those kids are available for adaptation, please do so. I'm okay with that."

Mamma hugged me. "I didn't think it would be that easy." I looked at Papa and went to hug him. "You guys have already done so much for me. I'm grateful for that."

"You're our daughter, we had to do that. Finding the truth of your adaptation never changed anything."

"Okay then, we'll contact them then. Maybe we'll be able to adopt them before June," papa informed me.

When I came back to the living room, Alex cornered me. "So how did it go?"

"Of course I'm fine with that." Alexa squealed and danced around, attracting everyone's attention.

The rest of the evening went smoothly and everyone went home after dinner. Grandpa and grandma pitied the boys for sharing one room, so he took all of them with him to their house, which was ten minutes walking away. They had two spare rooms there as the other two were occupied by my uncle and his family now.

The boys couldn't look more relieved. Only Scott stayed back because the guest bed of ours was free now.

Of course he would do that.

****

Some of the neighbors and classmates from my old school who lived nearby came to visit me.

Of course, Zara and Christine didn't. I doubt they knew I was here. They didn't even contact me after that day.

Anyway, the day went well. And it was time for plan B.

Bringing up visiting my old town.

That evening, when I was preparing dinner I brought out the topic.