Chapter Thirty Three: New Year & New Promises

Chapter 3: New Year And New Promises

"No they didn't," I said snorted. "That was where everything started."

He looked confused. "We thought everything would be fine. But we were so wrong. It was the summer before our sixth grade. Almost four years ago. We were on a tour of an amusement park. Everyone was roaming around in groups. And that's when I saw him again. He noticed me too. I ran to warn Luna about them. But before I could tell her what I saw, someone tied my mouth from behind. Another person grabbed Luna. I couldn't tell where they were taking us. Later we figured out we were kidnapped."

I sniffed. "I...I had no idea what to do. They used to tie us up, scare us. Worms in our food, sometimes no food, put us in cellars with rats. I can't describe it. I was never so scared in my life." Ryan's grip around my hand tightened.

"One day, they took us in a different room. They questioned us about the file. I couldn't remember where it was but Luna did. But she was too stubborn to utter a word. And finally, one day she spat on the main guy and he became deadly furious. So she ordered his man to take her away. I heard her screaming. I fucking heard her screaming Ryan!" I shouted the last part and cried loudly. I gripped his arms so tightly that I was sure it would leave a scar.

"We should stop-"

"No Ryan. I wanna let it out. I need to let it out!"

"That...that was the last time I saw her. They killed her. Without any hesitation. I heard her screaming for help. But there was nothing I could do. After she left it was only me and him. He questioned me more and I gave him the honest answer, I forgot. And then he had the lamest idea in the world. He-" I paused and cried louder.

Suddenly Ryan's body tensed. "Did he...did he harm you then? Any different way?"

He was scared to ask the question straight. I chuckled.

"No. Or should I say couldn't. Before he could reach there I kicked him where the sun didn't shine and ran away." Then I told him what happened after that.

"They arrested the rest of the men except for their leader. They didn't look farther for him because he was dangerous. That's why I hate the Police department. They couldn't save her. If only they had taken the matter more seriously and started looking for us before it was too late." Ryan made circles on my palm, which I would've complained at some other time.

"When they questioned me, I put Luna's blame on me. I mean she was gone. So why put more baggage on her plate? So everyone blamed me. Everyone except my family. They knew the truth."

I told him about the events at Luna's funeral. How everyone colored me. "We moved to the capital where I met Zara and Christine in my new school. Only they knew why I was there in the first place. I changed. My life changed. In a good way. I was happy. But I actually wasn't."

"Those memories haunt me for a good long time. And I told no one about it. They thought I changed. I actually changed. But I couldn't forget. I remember each and every event of my life. I just never talked about it to anyone. I was sent to a psychologist but let's just say I was a good actor and they thought their help was working, so they discharged me after six months saying I was okay now."

Ryan laughed. "I didn't know you are such a great actor."

"I know right?" I said. "So I never told anyone about this. You're the first, like I was." His eyes widened for a moment.

"Look at me Stella." He said and put a hand under my chin.

"Don't let them get you." He smiled, showing off his dimples. One sentence and I was hooked.