Chapter Thirty: Stranger & Danger

4 years ago

What's your greatest fear?

Stella's is darkness. She never liked it when it's dark. Because it made her feel someone's presence around her all the time. She couldn't even sleep without the lights turned on.

But can you imagine what fears you can have in the daylight? She wasn't scared of spiders or cockroaches, but that doesn't mean she could eat them, not to mention alive.

That is what they are doing to her. Stella often wondered what they were doing with Luna. She had arachnophobia, Stella thought. She didn't know what wrong she had done to them. She didn't even recognize any of them.

"Stop daydreaming girl!" The man shouted at her. Well maybe not a man, a boy. He looks around sixteen or something. Stella looked at him with fear. She couldn't tell how long it passed since they were kidnapped. She missed her mum and Alex. Papa too.

"Just tell us where it is and we'll take you to your parents. Or at least consider sparing your lives," he said to her and Luna. Stella had no idea what in the Mammon's name he was talking about. But judging the look, Luna knew it quite well.

But she won't tell them. Stella knew her. It's her nature. She remained quiet.

He gave his men a single nod of approval and instantly Stella knew what he was up-to. She closed her eyes as I felt hot water hitting her skull, wetting her dress, burning her skin all the way down.

She couldn't take it anymore. People say she was strong, but she never thought so. She was weak, really really weak. Inside.

When he asked Luna the same question again she remained quiet. But this time she made a huge mistake. She split on him.

Stella couldn't help but feel disgusted.

The man looked scarier than he already was, his eyes were red either from the rage or the liquid he was drinking while ago.

"I'm not here to bear your stupidity. Take her away!" He shouted at his men who grabbed Luna by her hair as both of the girls started to scream. Stella saw Luna finally crying in weeks. But she felt the man's eye on her. But she could care less. Her only concern was for her first best friend who was now screaming for her life.

She could hear her scream all the way from the other room.

She was screaming.

And shouting.

And yelling.

She was screaming for her life. She was begging for her life.

"Please forgive her. Let her go! We know nothing, please leave us," Stella pleaded to the man.

"Shut up girl!" He shouted at her.

She could hear them punching Luna. She screamed again. And again and again and again. Stella pleaded to God quietly. Tears ran down her cheek. But no help came. God was charitable that day after all. But it was only for a while, before everything was dead quiet.

A minute passed.

Then another.

And there was silence.

No screaming, shouting. Just nothing.

Except the crickets outside.

Stella knew what it meant.