12.

Grace rocked Prie as she cried uncontrollably watching Romeos casket get lowered into the snow covered ground. Graces face was cold and chapped from tears but the weather was the last thing on her mind. Prie got the call just a few days prior that Romeo had been killed, gunned down on his own block.

Growing up, Grace remembered Prie attending a lot of funerals for friends and associates that had fallen victim to the streets. Death was normal where she was from. Graces mom tried her best to keep her away from that, that's why she moved her children to a better part of the city. She wanted them to grow up different than she did. This was new for Grace, she'd never experienced death so close. Her grandparents were still alive, all of her immediate family still here and well, besides her father— but she was too young to remember.

Grace and Prie stood over the six foot deep hole as everyone began to leave and walk to their cars. Grace couldn't help but to think—Romeo was a good person, she knew he'd done bad things in this life, who hadn't? But he didn't deserve to die. She couldn't imagine, who would do such a thing?

This just goes to show, exactly how precious life is. They were all together laughing and having a good time a week before on New Year's Eve.

" Grace?"

Grace craned her head to see who was calling her name. " Unique, I met you at that party, Dre's party, remember?"

Grace recognized his face. He was cloaked in a heavy black peacoat with a thick gold Cuban chain around his neck and one around his wrist. A few gold rings adorned his fingers.

" I do," She said softly still holding onto Prie.

" You knew my little brother?" He asked, nodding towards the grave.

" Yes, he was a friend of my sisters. He was a good person,"

Unique nodded, clenching his jaw as he kept his head held high.

" Thank you for showing love,"

Grace smiled a gentle smile turning her attention back to Prie as a few men dressed in black came and whispered something in Uniques ear before walking back to a black suburban parked on the street. Grace watched as they all filed into the truck and pulled off.

" Come on, we need to go now," Grace said to Prie.

Joseph shook his head at Dre as they sat at the kitchen table in his aunt and Uncles house. The house was dark besides the kitchen light over head of them on. Dre wore an expression of agitation and looked to be deep in thought holding his chin.

" I don't agree with this shit Dre, that wasn't smart,"

" You don't have to agree wit what I did because it was a decision I decided to make,"

" We got too much shit goin on for you to be out here droppin bodies. Bodies attract police you know this," Joseph said. " We got too much money on the line,"

Dre smacked his lips.

" Nigga when did you turn soft? Because the last time I checked, things was the other way around. I was having to tell YOU to cool it,"

" I ain't get soft Dre, I got smarter. I learned how to think before I react, THATS what I did," Joseph raised his voice.

" I don't give a fuck about none of that, the nigga disrespected me. All we got in these streets is respect! And I'm gone stand on mine everytime," Dre said through gritted teeth leaning into the table. " You let one muthafucka slide, then everyone gone think it's cool to skate," He spat.

" He was a kid. You know how that shit goes, he felt like he had something to prove,"

Dre shook his head leaning back in his seat.