54.

Grace stared out of the tinted car window watching the scenery begin to change as they entered a new neighborhood of the Manhattan borough, Harlem— upper East Harlem to be exact.

Joseph's right hand laid on Graces thigh as he drove with his left. If I ruled the world by Nas bumped mildly as Joseph subtly bobbed his head to the music.

" I didn't know we lived this close to where you're from," Grace said, as her eyes landed on him.

He wore a powder blue sweat suit and layered a few of his diamond chains around his neck

He wore a powder blue sweat suit and layered a few of his diamond chains around his neck. He made it a point to wear his jewelry today because it was a sentimental thing— it showed how far he'd come from the kid hanging on the street corners to the comfortable lavish life he lived now.

He shrugged. " Twenty minutes,"

" It looks— different," She said.

Joseph made a hearty chuckle. " That's cause we in the hood now bae,"

Grace always lived in nice homes in suburban neighborhoods in New Jersey growing up, even when she moved back to New York and was living on her own she lived in a nicer part of the city courtesy of the money her father left for her. Emily made it a point to have her children grow up differently than she did. Grace had vague memories of being young and spending the night at Nias house where she still resides to this day in the Bronx but other than that she never spent much time in the hood.

Joseph took up Graces request to show her where he's from. He was surprised she had an interest in it since she'd never asked before but that was because Joseph had always seemed so closed off about his past. Joseph had passed through a few times, but it had been a while since he'd actually been back in Harlem. After being released from prison he'd established his new life in the posh borough of upper Manhattan almost fifty floors up.

A small smile tugged at the corner of Joseph's lips as he looked around visualizing himself being a kid and hard headed teen running the streets with Dre getting into shit. Not much had changed, it still looked how he remembered.

" I used to get into all type of shit when I was a shorty," Joseph chuckled to himself, squeezing Graces thigh. " Got into my first fight right there," He quickly pointed as they drove by a public bus stop. " Some older niggas tried to punk me out my sneaks, had to step on they ass," 

Grace grinned watching as Joseph's face lit up reminiscing on his childhood. Though his childhood was far from easy and extremely different from most going through the things he went through, it was a simpler time in his life. He still had yet to learn the true evils of the world, or become one.

" Aw yup we need one of them fasho," He said, abruptly pulling the white Lamborghini over and parking it on the street beside a corner deli.

" What?" Grace asked, looking at the deli.

The building looked old and run down and the windows were covered in faded photo advertisements of groceries.