41.

Grace squinted, covering her eyes from the bright sun and carrying a plastic bag full of her belongings as she walked towards her moms white Porsche parked out front of the jail. Grace had spent the whole night in a holding cell and was finally released at noon the next day after being given a bond.

" You okay?" Emily asked, hugging her daughter.

Emily was surprised Grace had made it through the night in there without having a mental breakdown. Grace simply nodded, getting into the car. All she could think about was Joseph and Isys and the anger she felt, she didn't even care she was in jail. She couldn't believe Joseph would do such a thing, nor could she believe Isys. Isys was just at her birthday celebration, they were supposed to be friends.

She felt betrayed and embarrassed more than anything.

"Gr-," Emily started to say after a brief moment of them driving in silence.

" You're disappointed I know, I am too," Grace cut her off.

Emily chuckled lightly, pausing. " I almost went to jail once too over your father,"

Grace twisted her lip to the side looking at her mom.

" I was pregnant with you and we had separated, I moved out but still had a key to our house. I went back to grab some stuff for you unannounced and he was in bed with another woman," She said calmly, looking at the road.

Grace slightly jerked her head back. " What did you do?"

" I tried to set the house on fire with both of them in it,"

" Mommy," Grace laughed shocked.

" As your mother of course I'm a little disappointed, but I understand baby. I know how it feels to have your feelings hurt by someone you love so much," She said empathetically. " I raised you better than this though,"

Grace nodded, chewing her lip.

" Did you forgive daddy?"

" You know I did. People make mistakes Grace and by no means am I saying forgive him or excuse what happened, but if you love him give him a chance to speak his peace,"

Grace thought about it for a second before becoming angry all over again. " No, I'm okay,"

Emily gave Grace a 'mom look'. Grace could hold onto a grudge until her face turned blue.

" Stop that right now," Emily said sternly. "Harboring hate in your heart is not healthy. God wants us to forgive others, even if you never talk to that person again," She reminded.

" I do forgive him," Grace shrugged.

Emily shook her head. " No you don't, I can see it on your face."

Pulling into Emily's new neighborhood, Grace spotted Joseph's white Lamborghini parked out front of her house. Clenching her jaw, she looked over at her mom.

" What are you friends with him??" Grace asked pointing at the car. " Why is he even here,"

" He has been sitting out here in his car since you got arrested last night waiting for me to go get you,"

" I don't want to talk to him," Grace said folding her arms over her chest.

" Okay so don't Grace," Emily said tiredly.

" Make him leave,"

" I'm not making him do anything. I'm going in the house," She said waiting for the garage to open. " You two are adults, so act like one,"

Grace rolled her eyes watching as her mom grabbed her purse and got out of the car, going inside. Seeing Joseph walk into the garage through the passenger mirror, he pulled on the car door handle but it was locked.

" What do you want!" Grace yelled loud enough to hear from the outside of the car.

Joseph smacked his lips. " Open the door,"

Grace glared at him before hitting the locks and pushing the door open. Joseph grabbed it, holding it for her.

" Come talk to me in my car,"

" I'm not falling for that again, say what you have to say right here," She said.

" I ain't do shit with that girl Grace,"

Grace laughed. " So you're just going to keep lying? Instead of owning up to what you did and apologizing you're going to keep up with that lie? Just get out of my face, im done," She said trying to push him out of the way.

" Watch out," He said sternly pushing her back into the car. " If you gettin out this car then you coming home with me,"

" I'm not going anywhere with you," Grace chuckled.

" G I swear I ain't touch that girl, I wouldn't lie to you. You know I would never do nothing to hurt you, I love the fuck out of you," Joseph pleaded trying to grab her hand but she snatched it away.

" Joseph I saw you," She said, feeling tears well in her eyes. " I saw her come out of the bathroom behind you!"

" The bitch followed me in there trying to push up on me! I wouldn't never do no shit like that to you on my parents I wouldn't! You know me better than this,"

Grace shook her head as a few tears fell. She wanted so bad to believe Joseph, but she know what she saw and there was no getting around that.

" Ask her yourself! I put that on my folks I ain't do nothing with that girl. I would never do you like that, I'd give you my last. You the only woman I love Grace,"

Grace chewed on the inside of her cheek. Joseph grabbed her chin making her look at him.

" You know I stand on my loyalty. What kind of nigga would I be to snake the person I lay my head next to every night. That's not no real nigga shit," He said.

" The bitch followed me into the bathroom while I was trying to take a piss tryna push up on me and I muffed her ass out the way. That's why my pants was like that cause I was tryna get up out of there. I don't got no reason to lie to you Grace, ask her yourself,"

Grace just sat quietly in her thoughts.

" That bitch not right and she not yo friend. I will find her and hold her down so you can beat on her,"

Grace let out a small chuckle rolling her eyes.

" You laughing I'm being for real you just say the word,"

" I just- I don't know. Even Dre tried to lie for you,"

Joseph smacked his lips. " Bae of course he gone lie for me without even knowing what's going on he my cousin! Just like Prie would lie for you,"

" Prie wouldn't lie for me,"

Joseph stale faced Grace. " Yes she would and you know she would. You done hit me in my face and busted up my whip for no reason,"

'And I'll do it again' She thought.

" I just need some space,"

" Na, ain't no space. We not doin that"

" Joseph if I want space I can have it,"

" Okay coo, the condo two thousand square feet, that's enough space," He said grabbing her hand to pull her out of the car.

" I'm not going home with you today Joseph,"

Joseph looked saddened.

" Grace I didn't even do nothin. I don't want to go home without you. I need you more than you think I do. I love you man. It's really hurting me that you don't believe me. I ain't tryna lose you,"

" You will be okay, I just need time to think,"

" Ight," Joseph kissed his teeth, giving up.

He stepped to the side letting her get out. " I love you.."

" I still love you too," Grace said reassuringly before going in the house.