Chapter Twenty Four

It's Christmas Eve and Harry and I haven't had any more make outs. I can't stop thinking about it though. We kissed. We've never kissed before. Best friends don't just kiss, that's not normal. Maybe that means he likes me too, but maybe not. I wish I could just straight up ask.

"Hey El, we're gonna watch a Christmas movie, you coming?" Anne says popping her head into my room.

"Yeah," I say getting up and following her downstairs. I sit by Harry on the love seat while the adults sit on the couch. My Dad next to my Mom and Anne next to Robin.

"I told Nina we'd come over again before we leave," Harry whispers as the movie starts.

"Okay, and you don't have to pretend to be my boyfriend." I tell him.

"El I want to, it's fun." He smirks. That literally made my heart explode. Does Harry have actual feelings for me or is he just using me as a make out buddy? I don't know...but he's confusing.

***

Halfway through the movie and my head's ended up in Harry's lap. My breathing is slowing as I grow more sleepy. Harry is running his fingers through my hair calmly.

"Are you falling asleep?" He whispers in my ear. I nod against his lap.

"Hey, we're gonna head to bed if you don't mind." He tells our parents.

"That's okay sweetie. Good night." Anne says.

"Goodnight Mum." Harry says.

Harry gets up lightly pulling me up with him. With his arm around my waist we head up to his room.

"I'm taking a sweater," I say going to his closet and grabbing one.

"Okay, that's fine." He says going to sit on his bed. I slide the sweater over my head and get into the bed beside him.

"Harry?" I say as he turns the light off.

"Yeah?" He replies.

"What do we keep doing?" I ask. He pauses for a moment.

"What do you mean?" He says.

"Harry, you know." I say.

"Ellie, I don't think this is a good conversation to have right now," he says.

"Don't put it off Harry. I can't stand not knowing what a going on in your head." I say.

"Fine, let's talk about it then," he says sitting beside me.

"You wanna know what it is we're doing right?"

"Yes, and I know at first it was just to get to Tommy but we still did stuff after that." I say.

"I know...honestly I enjoyed it but I really don't wanna ruin our friendship ya know? Like I think we're just caught up in the moment." He explains. My heart stings with his every word. This meant nothing to him.

"Oh.." I say looking down at the blanket. 

"But how about we make a deal?" He suggests.

"Okay," I say.

"While we're here we have free range and can do anything we want, but when we get back home we return to normal and we continue on like it never happened.  Why not enjoy ourselves right?" He explains.  It sounds like a good deal besides the fact that I'm in love with him.

"Deal," I agree.

"Great," he says biting his lip. He moves some hair behind my ear making butterflies erupt in my stomach.

"Can I kiss you?" He asks. I nod shyly. He presses his lips to mine softly unlike any other kiss we've had. This kiss feels full of emotion. After the kiss we just lay tangled up together. I think we both just made a decision we didn't want.

***

I wake up to someone touring my face, brushing some hair away.

"Wake up El, it's Christmas." Harry's voice whispers.

"Merry Christmas Haz." I smile opening my eyes.

"Merry Christmas to you too." He smiles tapping my nose.

Harry and I both put on our matching family Christmas pj's and head downstairs. We see our families sitting eating breakfast. 

"Morning kids," Anne smiles.

"Morning," I smile back.

"Come sit and eat so we can open the presents after." My mom's says.

Harry and I both sit at the table beside each other. After eating we all gather around the Christmas tree.

"Anne, Mom, this one's for you both from Harry and I." I say handing them a gift.

"Oh thank you!" My Mom says taking the gift into her hands.

They unwrap it to see a black photo book.

"Open it," Harry says excitedly. 

They open it and Anne's hand goes to her mouth. It's full of photos Harry and I took during college so far.

"Aw kids, we love it." Anne says. My Mom nods in agreement.

After everyone exchanges gifts it's time for Harry and I to exchange them. I take my gift for Harry and hand it to him. He smiles brightly and unwraps it. There's a rectangle box with a tie on it. He unties it and opens the box. His eyes widen and he jumps up.

"IT'S TICKETS TO SEE ARIANA GRANDE!" He says jumping around. He hugs me tightly.

"Thank you El." He says. "Here," he says giving me my gift. Also a small box.

I open the box to reveal a beautiful necklace. It's silver and has an E charm on it with diamonds on the E.

"Harry it's beautiful, thank you." I say taking the necklace out of the box.

"I'm glad you like it." He laughs. I give him a big hug and hand him the necklace.  I turn around and move my hair out of the way. He puts the necklace around my neck, his fingers lightly skimming my skin, and clasps it shut.

I turn back around. "I love it Harry." I smile.

"I love you El." He says. 

"I love you too." I smile hugging him tightly again. If only he knew how much I really mean that.

***

Today was an amazing Christmas.  We all had such a good time. I stand in front of my mirror holding the necklace Harry got me. I love him so much. I crawl into bed and grab my phone. I can't sleep at all. I get a text from Harry.

Haz💕- Hey, u up?

Me- Yeah, why?

Haz💕- can't sleep

Me- me either, come over?

Haz💕- be there in five

I set my phone back on my nightstand and open my window for Harry.  Soon enough he crawls through the window,  locking it behind him.

"Hey," I say.

"Hi," he says crawling into the bed next to me. He cuddles up to me. He's never like this...besides when he and Olivia broke up.

"Hey, are you okay?" I ask running my fingers through his hair. 

"No," he shakes his head.

"Wanna talk about it?"

"Okay well...there's this girl," he says making my heart heavy. "And I feel like me and her is just never gonna happen...and I just can't live without her."

I know he likes another girl and I love him but I'm still his best friend and I can't fail him now.

"Maybe you should just tell her. You'll never know how she feels if you don't." I say.

"Maybe I will tell her..." he says.

We don't talk the rest of the night. We fall asleep cuddled up to each other peacefully. It was a good Christmas.