Chapter Thirty Five

I thought tonight would be a good night to go to a party. I haven't been to one in a while. Maybe it'll help keep my mind off things. Zayn had invited me anyway so I had another excuse to go. Lauren couldn't go as she had a test to study for.

I walked out of zayns car, wearing a deep purple strapless dress. My hair was let down in light waves. I felt good so I was hoping the night went good.

"Do you want a drink?" Zayn asked me.

I nodded, "Yeah that sounds good."

He smiled before leaving me alone in the backyard. Then the memory started flashing in my mind.

"This might sound stupid but...I really wanted to dance with you tonight. You know, like old times." I say looking at the grass.

"It's not stupid. And just so you know, I missed you too." He says.

"Who wouldn't?" I laugh. I can still hear the music from out here. A slow songs playing. Liam shouldn't look for me though, we already danced to a million tonight. Harry stands up and I worry he's leaving until he holds his hand out to me.

"What are you doing?" I ask him confused.

"You said you wanted to dance with me." He says with a grin.

I blink tears away as Zayn finally arrives with our drinks. I take one from him, telling him thanks.

"So, how have you been with everything?" He asks.

"Honesty...not good." I sigh.

"I couldn't imagine how you feel. If I lost Lauren I'd be a mess. I think you're doing amazing." He smiled at me.

"Thanks Zayn. I'm happy Lauren found you. You're a good guy." I tell him.

"Wanna go dance?" He asks.

"Sure, let's do it." I smile.

We head instead and everyone's dancing and laughing. I smile to myself. They're such good energy. Zayn and I laugh and dance along to the music with them.

***
I laughed as Zayn and I sat talking on a couch. I glanced towards the dance floor and immediately regretted it. What I saw broke my heart even more. It was Harry. With Olivia, dancing.

"Ellie are you okay?" Zayn asked.

"Can we leave. Please." I asked choking back tears.

"Of course, just let me go grab my jacket. I left it in the backyard." He says getting up and walking away.

I got up and rushed out to the car. Halfway I heard my name being called. I stopped and turned. Of course it was Harry.

"Ellie wait!" He said catching up to me. "Please can we just talk please."

"What's there to talk about Harry?" I shook my head. "I get it, you're happy with Olivia now whatever."

"You think I could get over you that fast?" He asks in disbelief.

"I don't know Harry. Why else would you be here with her." I roll my eyes.

"She asked me to come. Why were you here with Zayn?" He accused me.

"Are you serious? Zayn and I are friends and he's literally dating my friend." I say in disgust.

"I shouldn't of said that I'm sorry. But can we just talk please?" He asks again.

"I can't deal with anymore hurt Harry." I whisper weakly.

He comes closer, hesitantly wrapping his arms around me.

"I'm so sorry. For everything. But just know I never ever did anything with her." He tells me.

I cry into his arms, forgetting how mad I was at him. He rubbed my back softly as I cried.

As if all realization came back at once I pulled away from him.

"No...you can't just hug me and expect everything to be fine." I say wiping away my tears.

"I know I can't. But I truly really am sorry El." He says.

I've know Harry my whole life. I can tell when he truly is sorry. And he is sorry. But that still doesn't mean nothing happened.

"I have to go." I say as I see Zayn walking towards us.

He looks at me with tears in his eyes. I get into the car, not looking at him. Zayn says hi to Harry before getting into the car.

We drive away, Harry still standing there with teary filled eyes watching us. I looked away not being able to see him upset any longer. This was the end of us. Our relationship and friendship.

***
Today was finally the day I was going to call my mum and tell her about Harry and I breaking up. We hadn't even been together that long either. I hope she isn't upset. I ruined our family.

"Hi hun!" Her cherry voice answers the phone.

"Hey Mum." I say.

"What's going on? You sound bummed." She says immediately picking up on my tone.

"It's just...I have to tell you something." I say  taking a deep breath to prepare myself.

"Well, what is it?" She asks.

"Harry and I...we broke up recently." I say quietly, my voice breaking.

She gasps quietly. "I wasn't expecting to hear that...what happened El?"

"I rather not talk about it Mum..." I say for Harry's sake. If I told her what really happened it would effect the way she sees him. I can't ruin things even more.

"Well, are you okay?" She asks in a comforting tone.

"I don't know...but I wanted to also tell you I won't be coming home for the summer." I say.

"What? Where else would you go?" She questions.

I sigh. "I'm actually going to move in the apartment complex near campus."

"Oh that's great honey...you'll come visit though sometime won't you?" She asks hopefully.

I nod even though she can't see me. "Yeah I'll come visit. I just know that Harry's gonna be going back home for the summer and I don't know if I can handle being around him right now."

"Alright...I wonder if Anne knows." She says.

I laugh lightly. "Maybe. Why don't you go call her."

"Okay hun, well call me if you need me. Love you." She says.

"Love you too. Bye Mum." I say hanging up.

Now I can check that off of my list of things to do.