percy jackson ~ rsd (hurt/comfort) ~ percy & grover

A/N : Takes place in book 3 during chapter 11 after Percy leaves the car that Thalia was in.

Percy looked on at the now closed Mercedes windows. A sharp feeling ran through his chest, a feeling he grew very accustomed to, especially with Thalia. It was a mix of sadness and anger, but mostly a deep self hatred. His psychologists in the past called it RSD, a symptom of his ADHD... That didn't make him feel much better.

Thalia's words kept replaying in his head. Annabeth wanted to join the Hunters too she had said. Maybe you should think about why

Did Annabeth want to get away from him? Was that really the reason she had wanted to join the Hunters? Of course, his rational mind knew that Annabeth cared about him and would never join a group just to avoid him. But his RSD mind and his rational mind were far from being one in the same.

He moved to Grover's Lamborghini and sat in the passenger's seat. The satyr's reed pipes were safely tucked away after a mishap with some poison ivy music. Grover was quiet and seemed a bit tired, but he was still awake. The two were silent for a moment before Grover finally broke it.

"Something happen with Thalia?" he asked softly. His ability to pick up on emotions combined with him and Percy's empathic link made it pretty easy to discern that Percy was dealing with his RSD again. Thalia seemed to have that effect on him a lot.

"She said that she and Annabeth both wanted to join the Hunters" Percy said, fidgeting with the leather of his seat. "She said- or implied- that I'm the reason for that" he scrubbed tears away from his eyes. "And I don't get it. I feel like I've been a perfectly good friend to both of them. I don't get what she has against me"

"She's just upset about... Well, everything" Grover reasoned. "So she's lashing out at you cause you're an easy target in her eyes"

"How am I an easy target?" Percy asked, looking slightly hurt. "I just mean..." Grover sighed and ran a hand through this hair. "She knows you're too nice to react too harshly to whatever she says to you, so she's lashing out at you as opposed to like... Zoë or something"

"I nearly drowned her back during capture the flag!" Percy countered. "If anyone would be an easy target, it's you" he immediately regretted his phrasing, but Grover didn't seem to mind too much. "I'm twice her age, at least physically" Grover replied calmly. "I think she's afraid of letting down people significantly older than her"

"How would you know that?" Percy asked curiously. Grover shrugged. "I don't" he admitted. "Just would explain why she doesn't lash out at me or Chiron. Still, none of it excuses what she said to you. Are you okay?"

"I'm just being overly sensitive like usual" Percy deflected. "I'll be fine"

"You're not being 'overly sensitive'" Grover replied firmly. Percy finally made eye contact with him. "Even if you didn't deal with RSD, it would still hurt. That's a hurtful thing to even imply, especially to someone who's been through as much as you have"

"I guess" Percy shrugged. It made sense in his mind, but it still hurt. "I'm here for you, buddy" Grover said with a small smile as he pat Percy on the shoulder. "Now..." he continued with a yawn. "Ima take a nap in the back seat. If you need anything, don't hesitate to wake me up"

"Will do" Percy agreed with a nod as Grover climbed over into the back seat. "And, Grover?" The satyr looked at him. "Yes, Percy?"

"Thanks"

"Yeah" Grover smiled. "No problem, buddy"