Part 23

Y/n's POV

My leg was bouncing up and down as my eyes diverted from the speedometer, to the time that was showing on the cars screen, and over to the road. 

What if we didn't make it on time to the harbor? 

What if they kill Emerald?

This was the first time the thought had struck me, and the word kill sent chills down my spine.

The pace my leg was bouncing in increased and my eyes started frequently wandering towards the time. 

20 minutes left...

19 minutes...

18 minutes...

My eyes were on the speedometer, and was about to move back to the time, when something heavy was placed on my leg, stopping the bouncing. 

I looked down, and to both my surprise and distress, Mattia's hand was placed on my leg. 

Lifting my face up, I looked at him.

His face was facing forwards, his eyes were placed on the road, and of course, he only had one hand on the steering wheel. 

How did he go from having a gun pointed towards my head a few weeks ago, to now sitting here, with his hand placed on my thigh?

Deciding to gather myself instead of freaking out, I rested my head against the seat and started biting the inside of my cheek. 

Not smart, I know. But this was a habit I had adapted since I was little. 

"Stop that"

I stopped biting the inside of my cheek.

"Stop what?"

He glanced over at me before turning his attention back to the road. 

"Biting the inside of your cheek"

What the-

How did he know?

"I am not biting the inside of my cheek"

"Whatever makes you sleep at night Hart", he mumbled under his breath, thinking I wouldn't hear him.

We both fell silent again after that, and the only sounds that were heard was the noises the car was making and our breathing.

The thought of what would happen to Emerald if we didn't get to the harbor in time returned, and my leg started bouncing up and down again.

Noticing what was happening, the index finger on his hand, that was still planted on my thigh, started making patterns on my leg, stopping the bouncing once again.

It started off with small circles, followed by squiggly lines, before he started making hearts.

"You"

A heart.

"Have"

Another heart.

"To"

Another heart.

"Calm"

Another heart.

"Down"

This time he made a bigger heart, writing my name inside it.

My eyes moved over to the time to see that it was 6 minutes left. Reaching my hand up, I ran it though my hair, before letting it fall back into my lap.

"How long till we are there?"

"We are here"

My head shot up, and I quickly got confused when I only saw trees around us.

Where was the harbor?

He stopped the car and I looked at him.

"This really is no time for jokes Polibio! Where the hell are we?", I asked frustrated as I pushed his hand away from my thigh.

He rolled his eyes before unbuckling his seatbelt and stepping out of the car. I copied his action and soon we were standing face to face with each other. 

"I swear to god if you don't tell me where we are-", my voice broke at the end and I shut my mouth, tears threatening to spill down my cheeks.

Reaching his hand down, he pulled up his phone and showed me the screen. 

The first thing I noticed was the time. 04:55 pm. The second thing I noticed was the text on the screen. 

Unknown number:

Only one of you can come if you find out where she is. If both of you appear, she won't stay alive.

Looking up, our eyes lock together, and he pointed to the side. "The harbor is there, you just have to walk down the small hill. I had to park the car here because they can't see both of us" 

He put away his phone before giving me a small smile. "I will go and get her".

"No".

His smile vanished and his brows furrowed in confusion.

"I am not letting you risk your life to save my sister. I will go and get her"

He shook his head, while I nodded mine. 

"I'm going"

Turning around I was about to walk away when he grabbed my arm and pulled me back. "I'm not letting anything happen to you"

"Let go Polibio"

"No"

"We don't have time for this!", I pleaded as I tried getting out of his grasp.

"I said no"

I stopped fighting back against him, and just stood there, looking at him.

"I'm the only one who can hurt you. The only one who can try to kill you. And the only one who can make you cry"

"Everything you are saying right now has nothing to do with this! Please let me go. We're running low on time!"

He looked down at his watch before looking back at me. "3 minutes. And, you're wrong. What I'm saying has everything to do with this"

Letting out a frustrated sigh I shook my head. "How?"

"These people have done every single thing I just said. Hurt you? Check. Made you cry? Check. Tried to kill you? Not check yet, but if you walk down to the harbor, then I'm 100% sure I can say check"

I stayed quiet and let him talk. We were running out of time, and if he didn't let me go, I don't know what would happen to my little sister...

"Are you listening to me Hart?"

"I am Polibio. But right now I want to go and get my sister!"

"I can't let you g-", I cut him off. 

"If something happens to my sister, I will never forgive you"

He clenched and unclenched his jaw, before an answer came out of his mouth. "Go"

Without hesitating for another second, I turned around and set off towards the small hill.

A.N

Part 23 ✅

Things are about to happeeeeeeen :)

-R