Part 35

Y/n's POV

Right after Mattia had delivered the news to me and I was going to ask him how he found out, loud noises from downstairs made me not do it.

"They're home?", he questioned and looked away from me. He stepped over the door on the floor, and walked out of my room, heading towards the stairs.

The sudden urge to stop him made me quickly walk out of my room and go after him. He had reached the stairs and was about to walk down when I grabbed his arm. Turning, he gave me a confused look. 

At the same time as my mouth opened to tell him that I had a bad feeling, gunshots were heard. I let go of his arm and without hesitating, we both reached for our guns. 

"What the hell is happening?", he whispered.

"I have been with you this whole time. I have no idea"

His eyes moved from me and over to the stairs. "Stay here".

Putting his foot on the first stair, I grabbed his arm. Who was he giving me orders?

"No"

His eyes hardened and before I could react, he gently grabbed my throat, pulling my face down to his. 

"I'm not doing the same mistake twice", his gaze burned into mine, and his breath fanned my face. "Last time I let you go, you almost died"

Why did he care?

He left when I was in the hospital. He left me when I needed him.

"That was last time Polibio"

"I don't care Hart. I won't repeat my mistake. Never"

"Polib-"

Our intense discussion was interrupted by a shot fired to the roof, startling both of us. The shot was followed by someone yelling.

"IS THE LOVEBIRDS HOME?"

It took me a minute to not focus on what had been said, but focus on the voice. The voice I recognized. 

No way.

"Hunter"

The second his name left my lips, we both looked at each other, and I saw understanding blossom on Mattia's face. 

We were both thinking the same thing.

Hunter, one of our oldest guards. 

Hunter, one of the guards my father trusted the most. 

Hunter, the Mexican Mafias spy.

The spy that had made it possible for them to take Emerald. 

"I SAID IS THE LOVEBIRDS HOME?"

Anger started building up in me, and before he could stop me, I was walking down the stairs. 

"Fucking idiot", Mattia muttered from behind me as I heard him follow after me. 

Did he just say that to me? I would confront him later. Right now we had bigger problems to get rid of.

"Look who we have here", Hunter murmured as we reached the bottom of the stairs. A smug smile was plastered on his face as his eyes scanned us. 

"Yeah, look Mattia", I paused for a split second as a fake smile made its way on my face, "it's the traitor"

Hunter's smile dropped and was replaced by a scowl. "At least Antonio treated me right. Fuck you, and your family Hart"

"Take those words back, would you?", Mattia stepped in. "Nobody disrespects the Hart family. Especially not...", he let his sentence trail off and looked at Hunter with a disgusted look, "you"

Hunter's eyes darkened and he lifted his gun, pointing it at Mattia. "Why so protective? Can't I disrespect your little bitch's family?"

"Call her a bitch again, and I will end you, right here, right now"

A sudden warmth spread through me at his words.

He cared?

Hunter chuckled and looked over at me. "Who would have thought that Mattia Polibio had feelings huh? Want to know a secret Y/n?", the smug smile was back on his face, and his gaze turned back to Mattia.

"Do you want to know what happened at the hospital when Mattia found out it was only a 50 percent chance you would survive? Do you want to know how he reacted?"

Beside me, I felt Mattia stiffen at his words.

Hunter lowered his gun. "Do you want to know that Mattia cried in your mother's lap when you were in critical condition?"

My breathing stopped and it felt like someone was squeezing my heart.

No, it couldn't be.

Why are you denying the truth!

It isn't the truth.

What do you know?

It can't be. He hates me. Why would he cry for me?

"Shut your mouth", Mattia's voice boomed as he took a step towards him.

"What?", Hunter chuckled and tilted his head to one side. "Was I not supposed to tell her your little secret? Oh wait, I have another secret. A secret about why you disappeared when she woke up. Should I tell her? Should I tell your bitc-"

Before the whole word was out of his mouth, Mattia drew his gun and shot him, killing him in an instant.

Hunter's body collapsed to the floor, and silence surrounded us as we both stood, staring at his lifeless body. The blood was oozing out of his chest, oozing out where his heart was.

We killed our most loyal guard.

He was a traitor.

Taking a step forward, I stopped as the doors swung open, and multiple of our guards barged into the room. 

"Everyone all right?", one of them questioned.

He didn't even wait for us to answer before he had made his way over to the rest of the guards, who were standing over Hunter's body.

I drew in a sharp breath. Why did I care that Hunter was dead? He had almost killed my little sister. Hell, he had almost killed us.

My mind turned back to what he had said before he died.

The other secret.

The secret about why he disappeared when I woke up. 

He cried for you.

My mind turned blank at the thought. It couldn't be true. How could it be true?

As quick as the thought had come to mind, it disappeared when the doors were once again opened, revealing both our families.

Emerald can't see Hunter.

I didn't realize I had said it out loud before Mattia stalked over to our families, trying to take Em before she saw Hunter.

But it was too late. 

A scream left Emerald's lips as she wrestled out of mother's arms, running to Hunter.

A.N

Part 35 ✅

Dun, dun, dun.

I got ill and didn't get to upload before now. So sorry!

Bonus chapter coming tomorrow for all of you💋

-R