Part 29

Y/n's POV

Silence surrounded us, and we just stood there, looking at each other. 

After a few seconds of awkward staring, he crossed his arm in front of his chest, took a step back and cleared his throat. 

Before I could stop myself the sentence was out of my mouth.

"Where were you?"

He cocked one eyebrow up, telling me that he didn't understand my question, and continued looking at me. 

Those god damn brown eyes...

"Where were you when I woke up? Where have you been the last 13 fucking hours?"

I don't know why I was mad, but the last days something had been going on with me. It was getting harder and harder to hate him...

And knowing he wasn't there when I woke up, knowing that he just left. It frustrated me. Something it shouldn't.

"Why does it matter where I was?", he questioned.

There was something different with his eyes. They didn't look as lively as they usually did.

My mouth opened up, and as fast as it had opened up, it closed again. I had no answer.

Biting the inside of my cheek, both of us continued to just look at each other.

For a split second, I swear to god, his eyes flickered down to my lips and back to my eyes.

A little taken back by his behavior, I stopped biting the inside of my cheek and cleared my throat. This was getting too damn awkward for my liking.

"Why does it matter where I was?", he repeated. "Did you miss me?"

...

Furrowing my eyebrows, I pulled a disgusted face at him. "In your dreams Polibio"

He mumbled back something under his breath, but I didn't catch what he said.

"What did you say?", I asked, receiving a head shake from him. "Nothing"

"No, tell me. What did you say?"

He rolled his eyes, and looked away before turning his head back around towards me. "Nothing. God, are you always this fucking stubborn Hart, or do you just behave like this towards me?"

This motherfucker!

"What is up with you?", I raised my voice. "Why the fuck are you so rude to me suddenly? You weren't like this last time we were together"

A frustrated chuckle left his mouth and he shook his head. "When am I not rude to you? When are you not rude to me? This is literally what we have been doing the last five years. Hating each other. We hate each other, that's what we do"

I don't know why, but it felt like a punch straight to the gut.

Why was I suddenly regretting everything I had done to him?

He took a step forward, trapping me once again between his body and the counter. 

Oh no

His eyes once again, stared straight into mine.

"You wanna know why I wasn't there when you woke up? You wanna know where I have been the last 13 hours?", he questioned, his eyes roaming over my whole face, waiting for my answer.

Yes. I wanna know where you were. I want to know why you weren't there beside me when I needed you.

Instead of saying what I wanted to say, I didn't answer.

Another bitter chuckle left his mouth and he shook his head.

"I fucking hate this. Hate you. I hate every god damn thing at this point! Just don't talk to me. Stop fucking talking to me Hart".

As he had said that, he briskly moved away from me, and before I could stop him, he had walked out of the kitchen.

"I fucking hate you too!", I yelled after him, knowing very much that it wasn't true.

Not anymore. 

Mattia's POV

"You wanna know why I wasn't there when you woke up? You wanna know where I have been the last 13 hours?", I questioned her as I let my eyes roam over her whole face, waiting for her answer.

Instead of answering me, she just looked at me with an unreadable expression. 

I can't do this anymore. I have to push her away. She is going to wreck me.

A bitter chuckle left my mouth and I shook my head.

"I fucking hate this. Hate you. I hate every god damn thing at this point! Just don't talk to me. Stop fucking talking to me Hart", I muttered and briskly moved away from her.

Before she could answer back I was on my way out of the kitchen.

"I fucking hate you too!", I heard her yell after him.

I wanted to turn around. Turn around and force her to take the words back. Turn around and tell her the real reason why I wasn't there when she woke up and why I had been gone for the last 13 hours.

But I couldn't. 

I couldn't make myself turn around, because I knew.

I knew how much she hated me, and it hurt. It hurt to know that my feelings towards her would always be one sided.

She would never...

She would never love me.

Never love me like I loved her.

I had tried. Tried so damn hard to not admit the truth to myself. To not admit that I was head over heels for her, but after everything that happened, I couldn't deny it anymore.

And that's why it was better to let her hate me.

To let her hate me and pretend like I hated her too. 

Everything started off with both of us hating each other. 

On the way of our journey I must have taken a wrong turn at some point.

If I could just turn back time and undo that turn. Undo when I fell in love with her. 

I cursed under my breath as I continued walking towards my room.

I needed space. Needed to clear her off of my mind, cause if I didn't, I would turn crazy.

For every step I took, the urge to turn around grew. 

Turn around and tell her the truth.

I continued walking.

Turn around and she will be yours.

My steps turned hesitant, but I continued.

Just fucking turn around!

I didn't.

Even though my heart broke for every step I took, I continued to walk.

It is better this way.

At least that's what I tried to tell myself.

A.N

Part 29 ✅

Damn...

I think this is the best chapter I have written yet :)

-R