1.

"Stutter
my full train of thought
just departed"

-
"California I need you!" Zayn yelled from the back of the shop.

My breath picked up as I basically ran across the concrete floor, trying to get the all the paperwork filed, while also cleaning up behind Zayn as he went along.

I wiped my forehead with the back of my hand trying to get some of the sweat off my face, since I could feel it beading down my skin. I found out the air conditioner was broken in the shop when I walked into what felt like a pre heating oven, and it had only gotten hotter with the afternoon sun.

I had already pulled off my tee shirt, leaving me with only my black tank on, wishing I had decided on shorts instead of jeans that morning.

As I heard Zy's call, I stopped dead in my tracks, turning my attention to whatever his request was about to be. I made my way towards the back of the shop as quickly as a could, him and the regular he was tattooing making their way into my sights as I reached his station.

"Yes?" Large puffs of air fell out with my words, my chest rising and falling quickly.

I had gotten used to the physical effect that running around the shop had on me, but I never did well with heat.

"I need another roll of paper towels." He muttered, not looking up from his canvas.

"Got it." I replied, moving quickly towards the stock cabinets next to the office, a stack of paperwork still in hand.

I had been running around the shop all afternoon, feeling the familiar ache in my feet that I was finally starting to get used to.

I had only started apprenticing at this shop a few months ago, and it was taking me longer than I anticipated to get used to being on my feet. I didn't complain though. I was lucky enough to have the opportunity, and I had always been taught to never look a gift horse in the mouth.

I stumbled into Zayn's shop, hopeless and practically begging for the job, and to my surprise he accepted. I had been to many other shops before his, and most of them laughed in my face, before sending me on my way.

I mean, there was no way I could really blame them. If a young girl with no ink on her skin walked into my tattoo shop and asked for an apprenticeship I would have probably laughed at her too.

I didn't really fit the job description, but I guess Zayn saw something in me that would benefit him. He had been an amazing mentor so far, being very respectful while showing me how the business worked.

I grabbed a brand new roll of paper towels out of the cabinet, before making my way back to Zy quickly. I handed him one of the rolls and he gave me a nod in thanks.

I stood over him, watching as he delicately covered the man's skin with ink. It was one of those basic clock tattoos with the roses behind it. Zy hated when clients came in wanting something like that, but I bet he got at least five a week. Usually there was no meaning behind them either.

My attention turned to the front of the shop as I heard the entrance bell ring through the hall. I pulled my eyes away from the artwork, knowing my attention was needed at the front desk, and I had filing to get back to anyways.

I usually always found myself getting distracted by the art.

"Hi welcome t-" I stumbled over my words once I saw the man that was standing near the front door.