Chapter-10,Secrets and Renovations

The night was dark and moonless when a group of black cloaked figures appeared in the small magical village. The smallest of them moaned softly and took several deep breaths before straightening up. No one laughed or mocked. Silently, they all glided through the sleeping village.

Once they reached their destination they quickly threw up silencing and anti-apparating and flooing wards. An alohomora let them in the door of the pub. They all sneered at the lax security until a volley of silently cast hexes sped at them from the dark.

Shields erupted and curses and hexes were sent back. One turned to look at the smallest as a softly hissed spell sent a large serpent across the dark room. Two of the invaders were injured by cutting curses and a reducto before there was a startled yelp and a struggle.

"Lumos," Voldemort hissed and the room lit up.

Aberforth Dumbledore lay on the floor in the coils of a large boa constrictor while blinking in the sudden light. "Who the bloody hell are you and what d'yer want at this hour?"

A wand appeared and ropes bound him as the serpent was called off. Voldemort smiled as the burly man paled and began shaking as he recognized the sibilant parseltongue.

"Information," Voldemort hissed as he levitated the man to a chair. "Answer our questions and I give my word we will leave you alive. Defy me and pay the price."

"I'm not telling you a thing!"

Voldemort sighed almost regretfully as he murmured, "Crucio."

After several rounds of painful curses, a bleeding, shaking Aberforth finally cried out, "Okay, okay.I'll tell you."

"Tell me of your brother. His youthfulindiscretions; any less than savory friends; disreputable actions."

"Albus? That's what you're here about. Albus is a good mana good brother. He came back home when mom died and took care of us. Hehe defeated Grindelwald and he'll defeat you!"

There was a whispered conversation in the mass of cloaked individuals then one separated and moved forward to murmur in Voldemort's ear. He frowned then nodded. He pointed his wand at Aberforth. "Legilimency," he hissed as he thrust into the man's mind. He ruthlessly prodded and tore down the man's shields and began his search.

He focused on searching for thoughts of Albus Dumbledore swiftly trawling through the older man's memories until he had more than he thought he'd find. Secrets indeed. He pulled out with a satisfied sound.

"Heal him," he ordered and settled back as another moved forward and mended the injuries inflicted and forced several potions down his throat to heal the nerve damage caused by the cruciatus curse.

When they were finished he levitated the man back to his bed and immobilized him before removing the ropes. Obliviating him and wiping all signs of their being there he sent the man back to sleep.

As silently as they arrived, they dismantled the wards and left.

Back at Westmoor Keep, Voldemort smiled. "Dumbledore does indeed have many secrets to keep. I have learned a great deal this evening that will be useful in the coming battle. Well done. Go. Get some sleep."

His followers drifted out of the manor and apparated back to their homes. Riddle turned to his wife. "The man's mind was a disgusting mess. I really did not want to trawl through it."

"I know. He wasn't going to give us anything though."

"You're right. He is extremely loyal to his brother. A brother who was friends with a young wizard named Grindelwald. It appears that in his youth our esteemed muggle-loving Headmaster wanted to rule muggles with Grindelwald. They did not become opponents until Dumbledore's mentally unstable sister was killed during a magical squabble. Dumbledore blamed Grindelwald for her death."