Chapter 44: Muggles

Marcos and Sade Patil hovered just outside the barrier watching for the muggle parents that were arriving to spend the weekend at Hogwarts. They had been sent bracelets that would allow them past the notice-me-not charm around the entrance of 9 ¾. A small sign stating 'Hogwarts Express' added to their confidence that they were headed in the right direction.

Seeing the first small group of nervous muggles approaching the Patils smiled welcomingly. Sade waved them forward. "Hello. Welcome. We are so glad you came. I am Sade Patil and this is my husband Marcos. We are here to get you across the border."

She stepped forward and linked arms with the first two parents and walked them forward through the wall and onto the platform. There three more magicals waited to get the nervous muggles onto the train.

The parents all settled into the Hogwarts Express carriages with various degrees of excitement. They were finally going to get to see this mystical school their children went to and see the magic that they were learning.

Some were fearful as well. They got the Daily Prophet and had read about all the turmoil going on in this secret society. Albus Dumbledore who had been held up to them as an icon for good turned out to not be so good. There was still upheaval concerning You Know Who. The girl, Hari Potter, who they couldn't decide was good or a lying good-for-nothing had married You Know Who's grandson and now they were in charge of the school.

Scandal had been rocking the magical world for months now – innocent people incarcerated in that horrible prison; abuse that had been ignored; prejudicial rates for education; the murder attempt on Lady Slytherin and the violent retaliation by her husband and godfathers.

They had all been warned to exchange pounds into galleons, sickles and knuts so when the trolley lady came through with magical candy many of the parents bought a few things to try them out.

Several witches and wizards were making the rounds on the train talking to the parents explaining Quidditch, floo travel as well as apparition, portkeys and the Knight Bus, the Houses, moving stairs and ghosts of Hogwarts and answering as many questions as possible and passing out the charmed bracelets that would allow the muggles to see Hogwarts. Unknown to everyone except Hari and Tom the bracelets also charmed the muggles wearing them to be unable to tell anyone of the magical world that wasn't already aware of it.

Once they arrived at the Hogsmeade train station they herded the parents into the carriages.

"But they aren't hitched to anything," a bewildered woman murmured.

"Thestrals," Maven Peakes informed them petting something between the empty braces of the carriage. "Invisible winged horses."

"Like pegasus?"

"No. Thestrals are carnivores and you can only see them if you've witnessed someone dying, but they are very gentle creatures."

"Oh," the woman murmured faintly as her husband prodded her into the carriage.

The ride was short and soon they were standing outside of the castle staring up at in it awe. Their children lived in this magnificent castle most of each year.

Tom and Hari stood in the entrance in dress robes. "Welcome to Hogwarts. I am the headmaster, Tom Riddle. This is my wife, Hari Potter Riddle. Together we own Hogwarts and the land about it. If you'll follow us into the Great Hall, your children are waiting to share the wonders of this wonderful castle with you."

They entered the castle their necks twisting about as they took in the gleaming walls covered in portraits that moved and the soaring stairwell. Several gasped as the stairs moved ponderously.