Chapter 30: Tasks

Hari entered the silent library and proceeded to the checkout counter. She softly addressed the librarian.

Back in the private area, a rustle was heard and the harried-looking librarian appeared. She murmured cautiously, "Lady Slytherin.".

I'm here to see if you have any plans for the upgraded library and to help Hogwarts create the space you need. Furthermore, I'm here to tell you that Professor Flitwick should be here tomorrow to make the master catalog and that your temporary staff and permanent assistants will be here on Saturday."

Prince regarded her warily. Does that mean I can arrange it as I like?

Hari nodded. The setup is ultimately up to you. As long as we have the wards to keep noise out so the rest of the library is not disturbed and we have the divisions we requested, the setup is yours."

Prince felt that the resentment that had grown exponentially year after year under Dumbledore began to weaken and fall apart. Putting a folder on the desk, she opened it, revealing her dream library to the first person.

Hari leaned over and studied the detailed sketch. While students would still need to enter the main library, four entrances into the year-specific libraries were well marked, two to the left and two to the right, further separating the younger students from the older and allowing the librarians to keep the younger students from reading any books they didn't need to. In the main library, the restricted section was no longer a gated area, but another room with a front entrance near the main desk.

There were four study rooms in each of the year-appropriate rooms. There were six in the fifth and seventh years. Around the back wall of the main library were ten points curving up the connecting sides.

Hari nodded. She looked up at the librarian and said, "These are amazingly well thought out." "Have you worked on these for a long time?" she asked.

Pince murmured bitterly, "Yes." "I asked Headmaster Dumbledore to renovate everything on several occasions, but he refused."

A sigh escaped Hari's lips. "Well, no more. We want Hogwarts to be a premier school rather than just call it that." She reached out and touched the wall. Can you see what Ms. Pince wants for her library, Hogwarts? Can you provide her with these rooms?"

They felt a positive energy wash over them, then everything began to shimmer and tremble. They could see openings where before there were solid stones. Within the framework, they could see doors. Approximately fifteen minutes later, the heavy magic faded, leaving Pince stunned.

Hari cleared her throat. She waved the stunned librarian towards a door as she said, "She's given me emotions before but nothing like this.". "After you, ma'am."

Pince shook off her shock and hurried into the nearest empty room. A smile slowly blossomed on her thin face as she inspected the rooms. "Thank you, Lady Slytherin, Hogwarts."

"You're welcome. Do you have specific house-elves that help you out?"

"Usually Apple and Nexus. This will be a lot of work, my lady."

"Winky," Hari called out and winced at the bedraggled house elf that appeared. "Oh you poor thing," she murmured dropping to her knee and gently touching the elf's shoulder. "I know Dumbledore let you stay here but didn't bind you to the castle because he couldn't support another elf. Thomas and I can. Would you like to be bound to the castle and be Ms. Pince's personal elf to help her in the library?"

Winky blinked bleary eyes and wobbled on her feet. "Winky is a bad elf."

"Winky is not a bad elf. Winky just had a shitty life as I did before Thomas rescued me. Let us now rescue you."