12: Bitch Please, You Hate Me

**** three days later

I was jittery. That much I knew, I was getting ready backstage for the today show but I couldn’t shake the feeling of pending doom.  I’m pretty sure something will go terribly wrong and I won’t know what to do. It seems to be happening like that very often right now and that’s just today!

First, the make-up artist forgot the lipsticks in her car, and when she got them back they were all melted. So she had to run to a drugstore and get a new set of tints, but as if that wasn’t fucking bad enough a fan managed to get through security, and although I would have thought that was sweet and not that big of a deal, it’s not the endearing type of fan. More like the obsessed-creep-and-will-probably-cut-your-arm-off-as-a-souvenir type of fan.

I’m not exactly looking forward to that encounter. They’re on the loose and I’m a wee-bit paranoid. Security is all over the place, but I’m still freaked out over it. I think that’s mostly due to the fact that everything is going haywire today.

And if it wasn’t bad enough I had church people outside the studio holding signs telling me I was going to hell. I have to admit some of them were very creative. But some were being nice, in a cruel way. One said:

Jesus forgave Mary Magdalene, He can forgive you too. REPENT!

I don’t exactly know what sin they think I committed, but I think they think I was a mistress of some sort…. I can’t see myself as a mistress, it sounds too professional.

“You’re on in ten,” reminded one of the workers while slipping into my dressing room. I simply nodded and smiled a little. It’s time to make a show as the Worlds homewrecker.

                                        ****

3, 2-” called out the man and signaled the ‘1’. I felt a small push on my back and walked out.

Part of the crowd cheered and I smiled a little wider, while giving a wave.

I had missed this feeling. You feel appreciated, and important, but not in the way that could get to your head but rather in the way that makes you feel so grateful to be in this position.

I sat down and suddenly my hearing came back.

“Morning,” I said to her with a nervous smile.

She smiled a bit, but I had this strange uneasy feeling around her.

“Good Morning,” she said with another fake smile, “How have you been?”

“Oh I’ve been good,” I said with a smile, trying to suppress the feeling I was getting from her, “Everything’s been good.”

“I bet it sure is,” she said, “So tell me, it’s been six months since you choose to leave, what exactly made you come back?”

“Well I never intended to leave permanently,” I stammered. I knew this question would come, and I prepared many versions to answer it, but nothing came to mind right now, “I simply wanted to… To figure some things out, if you will. I wanted to get some me time in my life while I could, and figure out what I wanted the next step to be for me not as a musician but as a person.”

“You wanted to grow your music into something more meaningful,” she said with a small nod. She would have seemed genuine, but she seemed bored with me. As if I wasn’t important.

“Ever since you came back, you’ve been a bit all over the news and it’s only been what… a month?” she said with a small smile. She seemed snarky, as if she didn’t like me. It was pretty clear she was doing it on purpose. I’m used to interviewers being nice to me, and simply kind hearted or genuine but for some reason this chick is giving me the bitch eye.