7: Some Red-Neck from Tennessee

***

“Ava; the door!” Allison shouted from the kitchen.

I got up from my bed and walked over to get the door. I wasn't expecting anyone...

“…Niall?” I asked surprised.

“Hey,” he muttered, “Why did you agree to that guy?” he asked confused.

“… You told me to…” I answered confused.

“Yeah, but I didn’t know he wanted Mauro of all people to be it!” He confessed, “I’d rather it be Harry!”

I just laughed at that, “Everything is going to be fine. He’s not going to be my actually boyfriend. He’s not even going to be my fake boyfriend. He’s just… going to be there. I’ll pretend to like him and he’ll do the same.”

“Oh trust me, he won’t be pretending!” He complained, “Can’t we just get some guy we’ve never even met! Why does it have to be him of all people? Why not… some red-neck from Tennessee?”

“Or an Irish blue eyed fake blond in a boy band?” I teased.

“Exactly!” he said not even realizing I just made fun of him, which only made me smile more, “Why are you even okay with it?”

“I’m not,” I sighed, “But I have to do what I have to do… Nothing is going to go wrong I promise. I solemnly swear that I won’t fall in love with Mauro. I haven’t seen him in like a year! I forgot about him even.”

“That doesn’t mean he forgot about you!” he complained.

“Niall,” I laughed, “Let it go! You don’t even know Mauro all that well, the last time we saw him he didn’t even like me like that anymore. Everything is going to be fine.”

“But what if it’s not?”

“It will.”

“But what if-”

“What if I get shot while I leave my apartment?” I teased. He looked at me with a strange eye and I smiled, “What if, is just that. What if’s! It’s a useless sentence started. Just calm down…”

“Promise?”

“Promise.” I responded with a smile, “Now will you leave? Why do you even care? You’re not my boyfriend remember?” I said with a smile

He froze up a bit, maybe I shouldn’t have said that, “Well, because you’re my friend,” Ouch, “…. You deserve better than that guy, and he’s creepy, and weird, and American-”

“Hahaha,” I said boredly, “Wait, what’s wrong with being American? I’m American!”

“…Nothing. Nothing at all, I just really don’t like that guy.” He said sincerely, “I’m just looking out for you.”

“Well thank you prince charming, but I think I can handle myself right now,” I declared with a small smile, “You should go home, you look tired…”

I stared at the rings under his eyes. He always got those when he was stressed and/or worried about something really big, and hadn’t gotten sleep.

“Can I sleep on your couch,” he said while pointing to the black leather sofa behind me, “It looks comfy.”

It is.

I smirked, “I don’t think that would be a good idea.”

“No one will know!” he complained.

“I live with Allison now…” I said with a smile.

“She doesn’t have to know!” he said with a laugh.